ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Hoops Thoughts This Holiday Season

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Well, this week certainly didn’t play out as everybody had expected, but in the world we’re living in today, we’ve got to adjust to the COVID-19 protocols and, despite all of the frustrations, move on and look forward to who is up next on the schedule and when. Obviously, the Colorado game is in the past and, from everything I’ve gathered, won’t be made up this season. Up next for No. 7 Kansas is a home game against Harvard on December 29. As of right now, the matchup between the Jayhawks and Crimson is set for 7:00. As we all know, things can always change when dealing with COVID-19.

With a little break in the action, I thought this would be the perfect time to share some of my hoops thoughts with you.

-- We haven’t yet seen the best basketball that this Kansas team has to offer. Of its nine wins, eight have come by double-digits. In its only loss of the season, Kansas was in complete control of Dayton but completely fell apart in the second half. It took a last-second shot at the buzzer to sink the Jayhawks. Still, the game should have never reached that point. Against Stephen F. Austin, Kansas, which led by 12 points in the first half, almost suffered another shocking defeat. A late three by Remy Martin sealed the deal for the Jayhawks, but again, it should have never reached that point.

Moving forward, Kansas must learn how to close games out, especially when Big 12 play starts. If Bill Self’s squad has a team on the ropes, Kansas must find a way to finish strong and not allow a game or games to slip away.

-- Kansas is going to need David McCormack, the 6-foot-10, 250-pound power forward from Norfolk, Va., to become the player that he’s capable of becoming. Truthfully, he needs to emerge as the player everybody expected to see before the season started. So far, it has been a frustrating start for McCormack. Currently, McCormack is averaging just 8.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game through 10 games. For the season, he’s shooting just 31-of-63 (49.2%) from the field and 23-of-38 (61.0%) from the free-throw line. Last year, if I remember correctly, he shot 80% from the free-throw line and was KU's most dependable free-throw shooter. If Kansas is going to become the team it's capable of becoming, which is a Big 12/National Championship contender, McCormack must be at his best. Self’s squad needs a presence in the paint that can score, rebound, defend, and block shots.

We all saw McCormack get off to a slow start last season, but he finished strong. Unfortunately for Kansas, he’s gotten off to another slow start. Will McCormack be able to respond as he did a year ago? Only time will tell.

-- Much like McCormack, Jalen Wilson, the 6-foot-8, 225-pound forward from Denton, Texas, has struggled for much of this season. Since returning from his suspension to start the season, Wilson, a redshirt sophomore, is averaging just 5.4 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. He’s shooting just 16-of-43 (37.2%) from the field, 5-of-14 (36%) from the free-throw line, and is just 1-of-15 from behind the arc. Self, leading up to the season, raved above Wilson and how impressive he was pushing the ball up the court and how things looked so much faster and better with him on the court. However, at least through the first seven games, Wilson has appeared in for Kansas, we’ve yet to see that player at any point.

However, if his last outing (STAU) is an indication of what’s to come, Wilson appears to be headed in the right direction. Against the Lumberjacks, he scored 10 points and pulled down four rebounds. In 20 minutes of action, Wilson was 5-of-10 from the field, dished out one assist, and was credited with one steal. The same goes for Wilson as McCormack. If Kansas is going to have the type of season it's capable of having, Jalen Wilson, simply put, must be at his absolute best.

-- I’m sure many of you will agree, but I don’t think that we’ve yet seen the best that Remy Martin, the 6-foot-0, 175-pound guard from Chatsworth, Calif., has to offer. Averaging 10.9 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game, Martin is still figuring out how to best play “his role” in a Kansas uniform. Martin, quite honestly, came from a situation where he was given the keys to a program and was given complete control and freedom. The ball was put in his hands and he was in control of just about everything during his time on the court.

Obviously, not only surrounded by much more talent, the coaching style Martin was accustomed to when he arrived in Lawrence is much different. Once everything comes together for Martin, he’s got a chance to be a really special player during his short time in Lawrence. I can tell you that Self and Martin are still feeling each other out and still learning about one another. Self has certain expectations when it comes to the play of his point guard, and Martin is doing everything he possibly can to become the leader that Self expects.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, right?

-- Christian Braun, the 6-foot-7, 218-pound guard from Burlington, Kan., and Ochai Agbaji, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound guard from Kansas City, Mo., must continue to lead the way for Kansas. This season, Agbaji is averaging 22 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. Offensively, he’s shooting 83-of-148 (56.1%) from the field, 31-of-64 (48.4%) from behind the arc, and 23-of-32 (71.9%) from the free-throw line. His backcourt running mate, Christian Braun, is averaging 16.8 points and 6.7 points per game. Currently, he’s shooting 67-of-107 (62.6%) from the field, 10-of-29 (34.5%) from behind the arc, and 24-of-30 (80.0%) from the free-throw line.

Agbaji has also dished out 16 assists, committed 13 turnovers, blocked three shots, has eight steals, and 220 points scored in 334 minutes of game action.

Braun has 28 assists, 19 turnovers, 13 blocked shots, 14 steals, and 168 points scored in 314 minutes of game action.

Listen, there will be times when Braun struggles and Agbaji leads the way. There will be times when Agbaji struggles and Braun leads the way. There will likely be times when both Braun and Agbaji struggle during the same game. However, these two must find ways to impact the game when the shots aren’t falling and when things simply aren’t going KU’s way. Playing in the Big 12, especially on the road, things are going to happen, both good and bad. Still, Braun and Agbaji have been the two most consistent players this season for Kansas, and that needs to continue moving forward.

-- At this point, and it's still early, but after 10 games, I don’t see a change coming in the starting lineup in the immediate future. I mean, unless Jalen Wilson starts to play lights-out basketball, I just don’t envision Self messing with the rotation. With that being said, moving forward, I’d love to see Dajuan Harris, the 6-foot-1, 170-pound guard from Columbia, Mo., become a bit more aggressive on the offensive side of the court. If teams are going to leave him open, which is exactly what Missouri did, he needs to have the confidence and belief in himself to shoot the basketball.

Missouri basically dared Harris to shoot and, after entering the game without a make from behind the arc, he finished the game, I believe, 3-of-4 from three. It’s a shot he can make and during media day, both in Lawrence and at Big 12, Self and many players talked about how Harris has the ability to hit shots from behind the arc. I would love him to be more aggressive shooting the ball.

-- I’m not sure how everybody else feels, but I still don’t really know how Self is going to handle his bench this season. I’m sure much will depend on matchups and how guys are playing and if a player or two has a hot hand, but for me, that’s something I’m absolutely going to watch and monitor moving forward. Mitch Lightfoot, Jalen Wilson, Jalen Coleman-Lands, Zach Clemence, Joseph Yesufu, Bobby Pettiford (currently injured), and KJ Adams can all play. For example, I know some don’t care for Lightfoot, but he brings so much passion and energy and is active around the glass. He isn’t afraid to take a charge and he knows what’s expected of him when he takes the court.

Clemence, for example, seems to just make plays when he’s on the court. He has the ability to stretch the defense with his outside shot and he hustles on both ends of the court. Another freshman, KJ Adams, is KU’s second-best rebounder, according to Self. He fights for every rebound and dives for every loose ball. Yesufu, in my opinion, probably deserves some additional minutes and Coleman-Lands can win some games for KU with his outside shooting touch, which we haven’t really seen yet.

A lot to be determined with the rotation and I’m sure Self has given it plenty of thought.

-- Lastly, can Kansas take the next step defensively? If the shots aren’t falling and nothing is going KU’s win, can the Jayhawks get stops and grind out a win? We have seen situations like this before! A Big Monday game in Manhattan when the Bram is absolutely electric and Kansas is fighting for its life. When a big stop needs to be made, is this team capable of making it? When a big rebound needs to be grabbed, is this team capable of grabbing it? When a big free-throw must be made, is this team capable of making it?

It doesn’t matter if it's Manhattan, Waco, Lubbock, Austin, Ames, or another Big 12 location, there will come a time when this team is faced with a big challenge defensively. The question is: Will Kansas answer?

Reactions: kanzan and KU4LIFE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News