ADVERTISEMENT

Helms titles

LTCUSARet

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2003
Lawrence, KS
I keep seeing KU hoops stuff for sale that explicitly describes the 1922 and 1923 Helms titles with the words "NCAA Champions". For example, this poster --
https://images.footballfanatics.com...roductimages/_1396000/ff_1396102_xl.jpg&w=340

My question is has the NCAA ever recognized the Helms basketball titleholders who were recognized as Helms NCs for the years before the NCAA Tournament came into existence in 1939 as "NCAA Champions"?

If not, then all those posters and tee-shirts and whatever that list 5 "NCAA" titles for KU are probably legally suspect due to them declaring 'KU 22 and '23 "NCAA Champions." I know I don't like the misrepresentation they put forward. What, we're embarassed KU only has 3 Men's hoops NCAAT titles, 7th all time, so we fluff it up with the two Helms titles?

Even in AFH the five banners hanging in the North Rafters all state just "NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" and then under that "YEAR". No "NCAA" on any of them so as to not even raise the question. I would prefer they say "Helms" and "NCAA" for the respective banners. No reason not to be proud of the Helms titles, and no reason to misrepresent them, either.

49e785a503cee69c84c5b9c65e248919.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News