ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Guess at opening day line-up and percentages

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
So I have been putting together my lists of who could atop the depth chart or in line to start. I also mention other players to keep an eye and have some percentage lists in with certain positions.

Quarterback

From everything I gather this is still a race and the more and more I get the starter may not be known until game day. And to be honest I don't know that a starter is that important because I believe more than one will play. The old saying it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes.

Here are my percentages:

Kendrick 38%
Bean 37%
Daniels 25%

Running Back

This may come down to health and who has been able to get reps. Lately the two steady guys appear to be Velton Gardner and Devin Neal.

Week one carries percent based off the last two weeks:

Gardner - 35%
Neal- 30%
Pesek Hickson- 18%
Hishaw - 17%

Keep an eye on Flomo who could step in grab a few.

Offensive Line

Lot of talk about getting a two deep or the top eight to be ready for game one. Here is my top eight and after talking with Fuchs a lot of players are working are working at multiple positions.

Earl Bostick
Malik Clark
Mike Novitsky
Colin Grunhard
Chris Huhges
Mike Ford
Bryce Cabeldue
Adagio Lopeti

Tight End

A position that might bring some surprises based on the reviews that Trevor Kardell has been getting the last couple weeks. His focus has been on football although he is a two-sport athlete. The competition at TE has heated up where at one time it looked like a two-player battle. Kardell told me he is much more comfortable in the offense not putting his hand on the ground.

Based on playing two TE the percentages we see players in week one

Fairchild 34%
Huggins 33%
Kardell 33%

Wide Receiver

Probably turning into one of the tightest competitions on the team.

In a three WR set here is my guess at the line-up

Group One: Lassiter, McBride, Arnold
Group Two: Grimm, Wilson, Skinner

Defensive Line

I am grouping the DE and DT/DL together.

I feel good the starters at DE are shaping up to be Kyron Johnson and Malcolm Lee. Watch for Zion DeBose to get some snaps.

The interior is seeing more competition and could come to next week who practices the best. My percentages:

Sam Burt 33%
Eddie Wilson 30%
Ron McGee 27%
Caleb Sampson 10%

Linebackers

This is a hard group to project because I believe players will shift around. Those in the mix in my order

Hawk (hybrid)- Betts followed by Gaines, Krishawn Brown and my sleeper Jayson Gilliom who could move to this position

MLB- Berryhill followed by Rich Miller, Dineen, Wheeler

Outside/WILL- Potter, Channel

Cornerback

I could be wrong on this but I have this down to a three man race to be the starter week one.

Going into the summer I would have said my money is on Jacobee Bryant and Duece Mayberry to start. Then they landed Jeremy Webb.

I think Mayberry has risen to challenge leaving Bryant and Webb in a dead heat to win the second job.

Percentage odds

Mayberry 50%
Bryant 25%
Webb 25%

Safety

I have Kenny Logan and Ricky Thomas locked in providing they are healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News