ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Friday Update- posted 9:25 a.m.

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Okay Willie McCaleb left early this morning around 6:00 a.m. so I hope to get his thoughts on the visit sometime today if he is available. He might be flying right to his Troy visit.

The word I got is Jalen Guyton went to KU without an offer and the Jayhawks did not give him one. I have also heard West Virginia backed off this week and will not bring him on an official visit.

KeyShaun Simmons, the defensive lineman who committed, will visit starting today.

The staff will also have a couple other defensive end types in. Chidi Ogbayanna from Houston Langham Creek will visit. He is currently committed to Houston. He is a monster of a kid at 6-foot-4, 250 and has never really lifted much. He could be 280 pounds before you know it.

Interesting deal with Ogbayanna, he has never been outside of Houston and never been on a plane. He is coming up with his dad and said he is really looking forward to the trip. I have got the feeling he wanted to the visit low key so he hasn't talked about it with many people.

Also making the trip is another defensive end Jamal Woods. He is committed to Memphis and I'm not sure the Memphis coaches know he is visiting.

Another name to watch is Joey Hobbs at Independence CC. He's a 6-foot-5, 245 rush end who is a legit Power Five player. There is a chance he might get out in May and I think KU will official visit him in January. He sat out this year so he would be a 3X3 player. Of all the DE they are on he would be in my top two with Willie McCaleb.

Now the very interesting part is to watch how many DE they take. I think it will be two. I don't know if it will be two juco or 1 HS/1 HC. Also if they are going to target two more what does this mean for Tago? We might be into January before we know.

One other side note... Bowen is also on a safety named Cole at Independence CC. Kid's film is pretty good. I think he is visiting Minnesota this weekend and might set a visit to Texas Tech in January. I think he will visit KU but it isn't set yet.

Back later with a few more nuggets of info when I get them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News