ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Five things I am looking for tonight

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Weather the storm/first road reaction:

You might not think about it but I have talked to coaches about this... going on the road for the first time with a new staff can be different. There will be new systems and routines. It will be something the players get used to over time. But the players need to adapt and there will be new things they have not done before on the road.

Tying the road experience into the game, the Jayhawks are going to have to weather the storm. At some point early in the game there is going to be a test. And the crowd is going to be in it. The atmosphere should be good. The Jayhawks have to fight through the crowd and whatever situation hits them early. You don't want to let momentum slip away early. If they can get through the early part of the game and get settled in that's a big key.

Linebacker play

The linebackers are going to be tested. They will be facing one of the best tight ends they will see. Coastal has some good skill players. And they run a system that makes you prepare for everything. I thought the linebackers looked improved in week one. They are going to be asked to do a lot versus Coastal from covering triple option to a spread formation with up to four receivers in pass routes.

Put the pressure on Coastal Carolina

Last year Coastal Carolina had a magical run. And it started with the KU win and everything grew from there. They were somewhat of a Cinderella story. They got momentum and had close wins over Troy, BYU, and Louisiana. It is easy for a team to play loose and have fun when they are using house money. But now they shoe is on the other foot.

Coastal is the hunter. They are the nationally ranked team. They are the 26-point favorite. They are supposed to run KU off the field at their home stadium on national TV.

If KU can keep this thing close it will weigh on Coastal because they haven't always been the hunter. They have never been the heavy favorite over a P5 school with a national ranking. I guarantee this will be a different feel for them. I don't know how they will handle it. The longer KU can keep it close and put pressure on Costal would mean a lot because we don't how Coastal will react in a new role.

Improve OL play

Kotelnicki and Leipold came across confident that the OL play would improve. Fuchs is a good coach. But he's only had the OL for four weeks. The Coastal Carolina front seven is a lot better than South Dakota.

Chad Staggs is an aggressive DC. I think you will see run blitzes and pressure applied to rattle Jason Bean.

The OL play need to take that week one to week improvement rule and use it this game.

Take care of the friggin' ball

Yeah I get it, this is a rerun that can be said every week. But this really rings true for this game.

Last year KU turned it over four times and dug a 28-0 hole until Borcila hit a field goal right before the half.

The obvious here is KU can't repeat that. Matter of fact they just can't lose the turnover battle period.

Velton Gardner averaged over seven yards a carry. KU outgained Coastal last year. The difference was mistake after mistake. Those mistakes can't happen tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News