ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts on the game yesterday

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
Setting all the BS aside about letters and backs, a few actual non soap opera football thoughts:

- Texas is legit. They bullied us yesterday and have depth across the board. They’re really good when they are rolling.

- I don’t know if there was a specific reason Devin Neal didn’t get more touches yesterday but he was doing work on the edge to start the game and we just abandoned it. Puzzling deployment of the best weapon we had on the field yesterday.

- Cobee Bryant got absolutely abused yesterday. Might have been the worst game I’ve seen from him.

- And yet somehow Kenny Logan was considerably worse. He whiffed on a number of key tackles that could have stopped drives or prevented scores. And his lack of hustle after he missed was maddening. One of my favorite players but he didn’t show up yesterday.

- Booker is a stud. Absolutely the kind of guy you can build a defense around. Same with Robinson. And the interior of the DL played fairly well at times yesterday too. Caldwell was eating blocks like crazy, Keys looked good again, Withers made some plays. They’ve become fun to watch.

- Cornell Wheeler is earning more PT every game and I don’t care at whose expense it comes. He’s quickly become our best linebacker. Brown missed some plays for the first time yesterday. Miller is slow but is a sure tackler and made some nice plays.

- Our receiver group was nonexistent yesterday. Need to continue to improve the athleticism there. Didn’t see Kubecka out wide once that I can recall. And wish we threw once in a while to the “blocking” receiver group (Scott and Emilien and whomever they choose to add to them). We are pretty predictable with those dudes on the field.

- Hishaw runs his ass off but has to figure out a way to secure the ball. Every time he touches it I get this horrible mix of dread and excitement that I might see something great or awful. The lost fumble yesterday he just seemed unwilling to let go on the read, and if he had Bean might still be running. It was open to the left.

- Bean was put into an impossible situation yesterday and showed up as best as he could for it. He ran hard several times, still ran sideways a little too much but absorbed a few hits as well. Generally made good choices on when to keep and give. Missed by a hair on a few long balls that we needed but we were in position for success a few times, and then Skinner and Wilson didn’t help him with drops at key moments early too.

- Competent or better special teams is such a relief to watch. Croft is fun to watch in coverage and Dean Miller has become an awesome special teams player (and I’d give him more DE snaps too). Greaves wasn’t great but he was fine and Keller and Allen continue to do their jobs well.

- I’m confident about our chances against UCF. That’s a good team but playing at home and coming off a loss I think we will bounce back nicely.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News