ADVERTISEMENT

Fall-out will be interesting

hill6

All-American
Feb 10, 2017
Trump's decision to leave Syria seems to have united the left and right in their condemnation of the folly of it. For the first time in ages the GOP is mildly criticizing Trump, and this could be a sign of increased willingness to speak against him (or it could be a spasm of morals that quickly is subdued again). Even Trump's suspenders Lindsay Graham spoke out against the move.

Why this might be a sign is Republicans seem to know that what Trump did around Biden was wrong. They are either refusing to talk about it (most), they are lying about what happened (Jordan), or they are shifting to other topics in a transparent deflection (Johnson). Very, very few are outright criticizing his actions (Romney). Almost no one is coming out and saying what he did was fine and totally okay. That, to me, indicates they know he's wrong, but they are loathe to admit it.

So the Syria issue provides them the perfect situation to look like they are standing up to the President, without having to show a backbone and actually stand up to him. With polls showing the public generally in support of the impeachment (and, though smaller, actual removal), I think you'll see more Republicans looking for these side dishes (e.g. Syria) to take a stand so if things get worse they can be on record as having criticized him (e.g. "I stood up to President Trump on Syria, therefore you can't call me a sycophant."). Having bi-partisan criticisms of the President destroys the narrative for the GOP and helps the Ds.

Seeing how this plays out and what, if any, precedent it sets will be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News