ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Fall Camp Update: Latest on the offense, position battles

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
We are to the point fall camp is wrapping up. School has started and the players are starting on their weekly routine for the season.

Leipold said they really haven't talked about a depth chart and the assistants haven't brought it up. And I really don't know how much a depth chart means in week one because I think there will be a lot of movement over the first four weeks. I think some positions are razor thin in terms of margin between some players.

Here is where I think things stand with the offense:

Quarterback: Jalon Daniels has been challenged by Jason Bean but will start week one. Bean has had a good camp and I look at this as great news. Recent history shows one quarterback has trouble making it through the season depending on injuries or if they aren't playing well.

Running Back: This is the closest competition of any position on the team. Any given day the numbers between one and four can flip. One day Devin Neal looks the best and the next Sevion Morrison. The margin between Thomas, Neal, Morrison, and Hishaw is so thin I don't know that an early depth chart will show how close they all are. I think Neal starts in week one but every back will get carries and this competition is going to be at a high level all season. The good news is here it doesn't matter who starts. What matters is the depth they can use and keep fresh legs rotating in all season.

Wide Receiver: I see this position group similar to the running backs. The two deep is going to change over the course of the season. I think the difference between the first and second unit when the depth chart comes out will be very thin. Right now the camp surprise is Quentin Skinner. I have been hearing about Skinner for a year, but I want to hear a player is turning his ability into production. And I have been hearing that about Skinner this camp. The position battle there is between Skinner and Luke Grimm. As it stands right now I am giving the slightest of edges to Skinner based off what I hear. If I had to pick what it looks now I would Arnold, Skinner and Wilson to start followed by Grimm, McBride and Emilien and Tanaka Scott.

Tight End: I am getting the sense Mason Fairchild is starting to move to the top of the group. He has been pushed by everyone and mainly Trevor Kardell and Casey. I think Tevita Noa will be used a lot more in blocking situations. Huggins has battled injuries but I have heard he has started to show signs of being a legit receiver threat since he has been healthy. Right now if a depth chart came out I would say it read Fairchild and then Kardell OR Casey.

Offensive Line: Going into fall camp I felt like the offensive line was set. They had four starters returning and then Armaj Reed-Adams plugging into the fifth spot. I haven't had a recent update in the last 24 hours but I don't think Reed-Adams played in the scrimmage on Monday. He has missed some time. That has allowed Dominick Puni to get more snaps at guard and I think he is making the most of his chances. Now, here's the interesting part. I think Puni and Ford are neck-and-neck. And Puni may have the slightest edge. We will have to wait and see when the depth chart comes out. The other thing that will play a factor is Reed-Adams getting back in the swing of things after missing some time. If Reed-Adams is still out then your starting guards will be Ford and Puni.

Don't even ask me about the back-up spots. I think there is a chance Joey Baker could be the backup left tackle. I think Ford could be the next in line to be the right tackle or center. Dre Doiron could also be next in line to be the center or right tackle. This is a puzzle where the pieces will likely change throughout the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News