ADVERTISEMENT

EVERYTHING BILL SELF, MITCH LIGHTFOOT, AND OCHAI AGBAJI SAID ON MONDAY AFTERNOON

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Q: What do you think of K State's three younger players, Bradford, Pack, and Miguel?

A: Well, I think they're all going to be really good players in our league, and they're already on the verge of becoming that. It's hard to play with three freshmen. If I'm not mistaken, K State next to Kentucky, and maybe Duke, has had more freshmen starts, is that right? Than just about anybody in America. So they're going to be good players. So they're probably a lot like some of the other good ones that's been in their program, whether it be Stokes, or Brown, or Wade, or things like that. I'm sure they're hopeful they can become those type players. But they're off to a good start.

Q: Hey, Coach, can you talk about the recent play of Jalen Wilson, he was named the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week, and what his play will be going forward for you guys, as you're heading to a tough stretch coming up?

A: Well, I don't know, nobody can predict what the play will be moving forward. I will tell you that he's played very well the last couple of weeks, for sure, to the level that he did in December. So I'm excited about him. I think he's playing the right way. He's rebounding the ball, and he's worried about things that have nothing to do with scoring, and therefore, he scores more points because he's not worried about it, and shooting the ball better. I thought he played very well in [inaudible 00:01:20], one of the very few guys that did offensively. So, yeah, we're pleased with Jalen, and we needed him to keep contributing at this same type rate to give us the best chance, moving forward.

Q: Hey, I know that the Dave's production offensively has been pretty consistent for a while now, but how much more can he give you, and what does he need to do to kind of raise his own personal ceiling?

A: I personally think Matt, the biggest thing that I could see is, get off to better starts. If he gets off to better starts, he's going to score three or four more points a game, if he continues to play that way the rest of the game. Got off to a slow start again in [inaudible 00:02:00] that's what I told him after the game, was coming out. I said, "Hey, bud, you were great, after you checked back in," but up until then, after he checked back in, after he got two fouls in the first half, he got a couple of baskets, "But up until then, we need you to get us off to better starts." And we didn't run anything for him early in the game. I don't know if you guys even pick that up, just to kind of let him get in the flow first, but I would say that would be the biggest thing that I could see that he could do to probably benefit us more than anything.

Q: How does it feel to be back in the top 25? I know last week, whenever you guys weren't ranked, you said you then deserve to be ranked. Do you think you deserve to be ranked this week?

A: Yeah, probably deserve it as much as anybody else that's in that 22, 23, 24, 25 range. We had a good week last week, we got three good wins, played pretty well, played four really good halves; a half against Oklahoma State, and of course two halves against Iowa State, then the second half the last time. So I know that's not consistent enough, but with the schedule we played and everything, I'm happy we're back in there, but it doesn't mean anything. You know, we'll stay in if we keep winning, and we won't stay in if we don't. But I'd much rather be in than not in.

Q: Hey, is the benefit of this extra day, just primarily rest? I mean, you were supposed to play tomorrow, right?

A: I would say that. We took yesterday off, didn't do anything. And I think that was probably good for us. I'm sure K State did the same thing, so we should have two fresh teams playing each other on Wednesday, but yeah, we'll go pretty hard today and tomorrow, and get ready. I won't allow us a day off after the game, because we took a day off, it's just one day [inaudible 00:04:06] for tech, and you can't do that. But we thought that was a percentage play, considering how we've been tied up, basically for an entire week.

Q: Coach, what's it been like to work with the league on those things? I mean, they're jumping through a lot of hoops to get these games played, to kind of find a way to make it beneficial for both teams to maybe move a game a day. And I know we've got some weather stuff happening down in Texas; I've seen some games get moved this week. What's this been like, I think for the league as a whole, and the coaches and administrations to get this whole thing figured out?

A: Well, my personal opinion is I think the league's done a nice job. I think we're the only team, to date, that doesn't play in our week off to end the season. I think a lot of schools have got to squeeze three games in, and may not still get in their full compliment of game. And here we are, if things go as scheduled when we play our last [inaudible 00:05:07], I think has been very fluid. I think the league has done a nice job. I thought it was good that the league recognized that this game could be just as easily played on a Wednesday as it could a Tuesday. I thought that was good, but it's a little bit different. If you had fans and stuff like that, I'm not sure you can make these changes. I think there'd be some ministrations probably throw a fit over people flying in, and making people change plans like that. I mean, can you imagine playing a Big 12 tournament and having everybody flying in and say, "Oh, we're going to move it to two days later," with hotels and all those things. So, I think that they've done a really good job, so far. I know I haven't heard any coach complain about what they're trying to do.

Q: Hey Coach, I heard you earlier on, I think it was a podcast talking about recruiting. I just wondered how really difficult it is for you guys during this time, especially with COVID, no visits, no face-to-face interaction except for Zoom. I mean, how frustrating has it been?

A: Well, Shay, it's no more frustrating for us than it is other people. I mean, so it's a level playing field. As long as it's level playing field, anything's fine with me. You know, obviously, we got an additional thing going on that certainly has impacted us to date, and it probably will until there's a conclusion. But as far as it being difficult, it may be maybe more difficult to, as far as maybe you're rolling the dice a little bit more on some kids because hadn't had the chance to get to know them as well, except via calls, those sorts of things. But as long as everybody has the same rules Shay, I don't see it being as near as big a deal from a level playing field. Our playing field has been more difficult recruiting against the people we normally recruit against, just because we have the NCAA situation hanging over our heads. That's what's made recruiting difficult for us.

Q: You've got evidence that that's cost you some recruits, got evidence that that's cost you some recruits, Bill? A lot of kids in their families have been concerned about that? Has it cost you individuals recruits?

A: Oh yeah, no question. Yes, absolutely.

Q: What about the resolution of the case? Any update about when it could-

A: No, I don't have any resolution on that. I'm not in the know on all that stuff. You probably know the timeline based on what has become semi-public as well as anybody. So I'm hoping there's a conclusion sooner rather than later, but I still think it'll be probably late summer, early fall.

Q: During your time here at KU, is there a game at Bramlage Colosseum that kind of stands out in your mind, just as far as atmosphere, and just how fun the game is?

AL I don't know about one game in particular. For whatever reason, the game that keeps coming to my mind is, there was a game where [Charon 00:08:19] got an [inaudible 00:08:19] at the very end, basically to ice that game. To me, was great, but we've had some good ones, and we've had the court stormed on us multiple times during of course, obviously Frank and Bruce have both had good teams over there. But I actually believe the most memorable ones to me that stand out are the ones in which we didn't win. And so that's a memory I'd just as soon forget. But there's been some fun games over there, there's no question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News