ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN FPI Rankings

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
ESPN dropped their FPI rankings late last night for the preseason. This is essentially their stab at measuring the strength of each team relative to an average FBS football team nationwide--basically, a power ranking based on various analytically based factors. Big takeaways:

- KU is projected to have an 8.7-3.6 W-L record. This is the tenth highest projected win total in the country.

- KU has a 91.8% chance to win at least 6 games.

- KU is ranked 17th in the FPI.

- KU has a 17.4% chance to win the Big 12 outright.

- KU has a 24% chance to make the playoff. This is the 15th highest percentage chance of anyone in college football.

- KU has a 2.6% chance to go undefeated. This is tied for the ninth best chance in college football, and is the seventh best chance in any of the power conferences.

- KU has a 0.9% chance to win the national title.

- All of these rankings are the tops in the Big 12.

- KU's conference schedule has us playing the teams that are projected by FPI to finish 9, 7, 13, 16, 2, 11, 15, 10, 12. In other words, we basically dodged almost the entire top half of the conference with this year's schedule, by their estimation. Illinois is 62 overall and near the bottom of the Big Ten, UNLV 86 overall and middle of the pack in the Mountain West. The schedule is exceedingly favorable by FPI standards.

KSU is the second best in the Big 12 at everything, then Arizona, Oklahoma State, Utah and TCU. 7 Big 12 schools in their top 30 overall. I feel like the rankings slightly overvalue TCU and seriously undervalue Iowa State in the conference, but overall, it doesn't seem off base to me.

We live in wild times, my friends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News