ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts DECISION DAY HAS ARRIVED FOR JALEN WILSON AND KEVIN MCCULLAR

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
After declaring for the 2022 NBA Draft, decision day has arrived for both Jalen Wilson and Kevin McCullar. As most of you know, they have the option to remain in the draft or can return to Kansas for another season of college basketball. For McCullar, it would be his first in Lawrence after starting off his career at Texas Tech. Truthfully, I thought both Wilson and McCullar would have decided before the deadline, but that obviously isn't the case.

When I exchanged a few text messages with Lisa Wilson, the mother of Jalen Wilson, last week, she said that her son would announce before the deadline, which is 11:59 EST tonight. I also thought that McCullar would have made his plans known by now, but I expect him to take much of the day to go public with his decision.

I've reached out to Wilson and McCullar and other people that follow this stuff closely, and I'm of the opinion that both will return for another season of college basketball. Honestly, I'm not sure what other decision they have at this point. The possibility exists that they could make an agreement with a team and start the process with a two-way contract or something like that, but to me, the smart move is to return to college basketball for another season.

Both Wilson and McCullar, should they return, are going to log a lot of minutes this next season at Kansas. They would both be given the opportunity to shine for another season and lead a team that is coming off a national championship. Obviously, Kansas will be a much different team from a year ago, so Self will rely heavily on guys like Wilson, McCullar, Dajuan Harris, etc.

Now, I'm not saying that this is a done deal. I've done my best to gather as much information as possible from people that I trust. With that being said, I think the belief is that both Wilson and McCullar will be at Kansas when summer school starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News