ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Jonathan Kamara picks Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: The Jayhawks have something going on at Desert Edge. Give a lot of credit to Jordan Peterson for developing relationships with the program in quick fashion.

It was last May when Peterson made his first stop at the high school. He made a good impression on Mark and Marcus Carter, who are co-head coaches and that helped a lot to establish himself at the school.

Landing Kamara is a big one because it is still new territory for KU, and he was getting a lot of play. Texas, Washington, and Arizona State are the most recent offers. There are a lot of schools who will likely come in. One of them is Michigan who reached out to him last week.

Kamara took his unofficial visit last weekend and still has his official set for late June. I think he took the unofficial just to see Kansas for himself to make sure before he committed.

He heard good things about Lawrence from teammate and KU commit Aundre Gibson. Once he saw everything it confirmed what he wanted to see.

Now, they turn their attention to defensive end Deshawn Warner. He is the third player in the 2024 class with a KU offer that is uncommitted. Kamara told me they will go to work on Warner and try to get him to commit.

Breakdown: One person told me they think Kamara has NFL potential and he is just starting to show what he can do. He’s right at 6-foot-4 and was 210 pounds. His frame is lean, and he will add a lot more weight and keep his athleticism.

On film he plays a safety or like a roving linebacker at times. They can line him up in the second level and sometimes will even play corner in a man situation. Obviously, he will outgrow that position, but it shows what kind of talent he has.

KU likes him as a linebacker, and I think he would play a position similar to Craig Young. He is not afraid to put his head down and tackle at the line of scrimmage.

What this means: I expect KU to target two linebackers, but I wonder if they could adjust the board if they can get more. They lose Miller and Young after this season and they may want to see if they can get experienced linebackers from the portal.

I think they will wait and see how the position plays out and also monitor the growth of other players in the program. That will decide how they proceed with going after high school players or someone in the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News