ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Corey Robinson picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: Now this is a pick-up that all the people who have been asking about offensive linemen should like.

In my eyes Robinson is a mauler first and will need to work on pass blocking down the road. And that’s okay.

Recruiting coordinator Josh Eargle picked up on him recently after watching his film. I could tell talking with Robinson last week he really liked the KU offer. He had a lot of G5 interest that included Coastal Carolina and Liberty.

I am all for adding an OL with whatever spots were left or even if the staff has to get creative.

Breakdown: Robinson is nasty on film. He is very physical for a tackle and his strength is run blocking. When he gets his hand on a DE, he has a big advantage.

He didn’t give up a sack this year until his eighth game. That shows the pass-blocking is there, but I still think his strength is run blocking. He will get better at pass pro down the road with coaching.

He has a seven-foot wing-span and the thing I like about him, he’s a true offensive tackle. He’s got all the traits you want in a tackle. Right now, I look at all the offensive line commits as possible tackles. That’s a good thing because you can always move guys inside, but it is tougher to move inside guys to the edge.

If I listed my favorites in order to be future tackles, I would rank Sterns and Robinson in a dead heat at the top. Robinson is stronger and bigger than Sterns, but I give the edge to Sterns being more athletic.

Final Thoughts: We have seen the staff use creative ways to find spots and I don’t know if that’s what they have or if they are using Amaya’s spot left open and using it on another tackle.

I would take Robinson’s commit for sure because I believe he projects as a true tackle. If something changed, he could move inside if needed because he has mentality to go up against guards.

I would predict this closes out the offensive line recruiting but I still think there is a chance that Amaya is in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News