ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Austin Booker commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: From things I was hearing I was starting to not like KU’s chances. This came down to KU and Indiana although Booker had several offers.

There were two reasons that people felt Booker was leaning to Indiana. The first it is close to home. He is from Indiana. The other is Chad Wilt was the lead recruiter for Indiana. Wilt was the defensive coordinator at Minnesota and recruited him.

Give some major credit to Jim Panagos for coming out ahead on this one. This took some serious recruiting effort to get Booker.

I heard Panagos did a good job recruiting Booker and his parents and selling him on KU. His hosts were Tommy Dunn and D.J. Withers on the visit.

Coming out of high school he had over 20 offers including Oregon, West Virginia, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa and several others.

Breakdown: Booker has three years of eligibility left since he redshirted in 2021 and played in several game this season. He doesn’t qualify for the Covid year.

He plays with a physical style for a defensive end and is more than just a pass rusher. I heard on the visit he was 6-foot-5, 240 pounds and had an 84-inch wingspan.

Booker will be a good fit for the 4-3 defense and can play a weakside end with his athletic ability and I think with his frame he can get bigger.

What this means: I will be honest I don’t know how many total spots will be given out to DE’s and DT’s. What I do believe is that KU will keep looking and if they can upgrade, they will. This gives Panagos three portal players in Keys, Booker, and Phillips. He has had a good run this year and I think he will always continue looking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News