ADVERTISEMENT

Commit Breakdown Commitment Analysis: What Davion Westmoreland's commitment means

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: This might be one of the most under-rated players the KU staff was on in the late period.

He was an intriguing prospect for a couple reasons. First off he graduated and was ready to return to Hutch CC if he didn't get the right offer. In the last couple weeks he had contact with Iowa State, FSU, TCU, East Carolina, and App State.

But KU was the only Power Five to give the offer. I just talked to Drew Dallas the head coach at Hutch and he said there a lot of G5 schools who wanted him.

He wasn't going to leave Hutch unless he found the right home. I just spoke to him and he said KU was the place and he knew it during his visit. He said he got a great vibe from the players and Shad Dabney was his host. They are both from the same area so they had a lot in common.

He said Taiwo Onatolu did a good job recruiting him and was the coach he talked to the most.

Breakdown: This is where I give credit to the KU staff. Westmoreland has developed a lot since last fall. The biggest thing is adding weight to his frame. He has put on 20 pounds since last season.

That made a big difference and looked like a different player this spring according to Dallas.

He said he has long arms and really gets after the quarterback. He said was someone they used especially in passing downs and said with the extra weight he can be an every down DE.

Final Thoughts: I am not sure this will be the last DE the staff goes after. I can see them looking for another one if the right player is available.

The biggest takeaway I got is how well the KU staff is perceived at Hutch CC by Dallas and his coaches. He also said the KU staff is well received in the Jayhawk conference.

Westmoreland will report to KU at the end of the month he just told me a few minutes ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News