ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching a lot like parenting

Kennyb2

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2014
Alpharetta, Georgia
I know there has been a lot of chatter about Coach Self's stubbornness in playing who we think are the right players at the right times. Saturday's benching of Alexander in favor of the obviously overmatched Lucas is a perfect example. Of course, I think we all would like to believe that BG would have had a positive offensive impact in the ISU game as well. Neither had significant minutes in the second half when we needed them most.

As much as we've all debated this topic, I do trust Coach Self. We can disagree with what he does in-game, but we don't see the day to day that he gets to see. He has expectations for each player, and when they aren't reached, he is quick to pull them.

Coaching is a lot like parenting in that regard. He doesn't care how much his players like him. However he does command the respect of those players. I don't think he loses a minutes sleep at night thinking about transfers, what player is pissed about playing time, or who isn't getting enough love on ESPN.

From my vantage point, he lays out a pretty clear picture to his players. This is Kansas Basketball. You earn the right to play. It's not given to you because you think you're entitled b/c you're a Rivals 5 Star athlete. You play defense, you get back on transition, you box out, you rebound, you go after EVERY loose ball like it's gold, you value offensive possessions as if it's the last one you ever have. You do this, you will earn playing time. You think you're above this, you can go play for someone else.

Just my view…Rock Chalk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News