ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News CHRIS JOHNSON COMMITS TO KANSAS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
The decision is in for Chris Johnson, the 6-foot-6, 192-pound shooting guard from Montverde (FL) Academy. After receiving serious interest from the likes of Kansas, Alabama, Arkansas, Creighton, Georgia, Houston, LSU, New Mexico State, Prairie View A&M, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Southern, UCLA, Kansas State, and others, Johnson, the No. 55 ranked player in the 2023 class, just gave the nod to Bill Self and the Jayhawks a few minutes ago.

Obviously, in becoming the first commitment from the 2023 class, Kansas is getting an extremely talented player in Johnson. The first thing that comes to mind, at least for me, is the fact that Johnson, a four-star prospect, had every opportunity to take additional visits before making a final decision.

In fact, there was a time when I really thought that he would take some official visits, but that obviously wasn’t the case. I think a lot of that has to do with the relationship that Johnson has built with Coach Jeremy Case, as well as the entire coaching staff at Kansas. Yes, Coach Bill Self was very involved here, but at the end of the day, Coach Case is the guy that really put in the work, built the relationship, and closed the deal with Johnson.

From what I was told by Chester Johnson, the father of Chris Johnson, the visit last week couldn’t have gone any better. It was during that visit, without any question, that the staff sold Johnson and his family on attending Kansas.

On the court, Kansas is getting an extremely talented player in Johnson. He’s the type of player that has the ability to score from all three levels. He can score from the outside, pull up for the midrange jump shot, or drive to the basket and score through contact.

Being that Johnson is 6-foot-6 and weighs around 192-pounds, I see him as more of a shooting guard/small forward/perimeter player, especially at the high-major level. He may very well play with the ball in his hands during his time at Montverde (FL) Academy, but I think, when it comes to his time at Kansas, he’ll be more of a shooting guard/wing.

In looking over some of his EYBL numbers from this past spring and summer, Johnson had scoring games of 11, 13, 23, 17, 20, 30, 18, 12, and 12. He had rebounding games of 5, 5, 9, 5, 4, 4, 6, and 7.

Additionally, Johnson had games where he dished out 4 assists, 4 assists, 5 assists, 4 assists, 4 assists, 4 assists, and 6 assists.

Obviously, there is going to be an adjustment from Montverde (FL) Academy to Kansas, but this is a player that has the potential to be very good during his time in Lawrence. Today, without question, is a big day for Bill Self and Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News