ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Stanley - what we know and

ArlingtonHawk

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2001
...what we don't know.

What we know:

1) Yesterday we saw the kid can run with poise and decisively. Had not seen his run game up until yesterday, but Beaty had mentioned that he had that run game. I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that he could run the option better than Cozart and pull the ball out like the WVU QB did. I definately want to see the option play for Carter.

2) Every bit as good in the short passing game as Cozart. Very accurate in all games we have seen out of him. Probably better because he gets it out quicker and doesn't look at who is throwing to until the last second. The velocity on his short game throws are just fine. No arm strength issues on the short game at all in my opinion.

3) Looks off his throws and progresses through his reads better than Cozart and Willis. Much better at moving up in the pocket and not giving up on the play than what we have seen out of Cozart.

4) Plays with good confidence. Led the the team just fine. Doesn't seem to have any fear.

5) Throws rainbows on the long balls, however, he has been extremely accurate on a bunch of longer fade routes because he had the timing down perfectly.

What we don't know:

1) Not sure what his intermediate throwing game is? It sure as hell can't be any worse than Cozart. I am fascinated as to if Carter can execute the intermediate game. This team badly needs the intermediate game.

So:

I understand his audition has been very limited. Given the blow-outs that in inexcusable so I lay that at Beaty's feet. This kid should have been given a bigger chance before now. I think Stanley earned his shot at more playing time yesterday, and I am fascinated if he can expand on what we saw yesterday.

Question:

Would it be fair to throw him out there to start against ISU? Or should we start Cozart and quickly go to Stanley if things don't go smoothly with Cozart. Tough decision given Saturday is our biggest game of the year by far, however, much better to throw him into the fire as a starter at home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News