ADVERTISEMENT

Can't help myself

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
Despite the utter disappointment of the results the last two weeks, I have looked at the numbers, looked at the press comments, rewatched the games, and I am convinced this team is still actually really good. We got bit in the ass by the most untimely penalties and turnovers imaginable and our defense wore out late (two straight weeks with the opponent getting 11 minutes of TOP in the fourth quarter). But the fundamentals are there. Even with the two losses, we remain 30th in the SP+ rankings and are the highest ranked two loss team in the country there. We remain ahead of every team left on the schedule save for one in SP+, which relies on those fundamentals and ignores luck.

I shoot myself in the foot every year with being too optimistic and then thinking the world is ending when the team doesn't meet my expectations, and the last two years have been a great departure from that self-flagellation. This has been a tough start to the year. But my expectations remain high. I still think this is an 8-10 win team. I hope everyone stays on board for the ride. Think it could be a lot of fun. (And I have my self-flagellation stick ready in case I am wrong.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.