ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Breakdown: Cornerback Jeremy Webb commits to KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: The Jayhawks only have five cornerbacks on scholarship and three of them have never played a snap.

Add in the fact Karon Prunty transferred out and the position was not only inexperienced, but very thin.

The staff was looking for corners at every angle. But they were also picky and never got involved with anyone just to find a warm body. Webb was recruited by several schools and narrowed it down to KU, Boston College, and SMU.

One source said Jim Leavitt at SMU and really liked him but not sure they will take a corner now because he was tops on their board.

His older brother played defensive line at LSU and was drafted by the Chicago Bears.

Breakdown: Chevis Jackson has always liked taller corners, and this is the tallest one yet. Webb moves around well for a kid that size.

Talking to him I like his demeanor and confidence. He believes he can play against Big 12 receivers and cover.

He told me the KU coaches pursued him very hard and that was something that stood out to him. They were in contact with him daily.

What this means: The big question now comes would they take another corner. Jacquez Payton is still on the board I just don’t know what direction the staff will go. Webb is a one-year player, but they felt it was a position of need and did not want to pass up the chance to have him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News