ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News BREAKDOWN: Colin Grunhard commits to Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: Kansas was the perfect fit for Colin Grunhard. He had the chance to pick other schools that gave him the opportunity to play football and earn his MBA. It didn’t take more than a couple days to come to the conclusion KU was the call.

Within an hour of going in the portal, KU recruiting coordinator Josh Eargle was on the phone with him. Eargle spoke with him a few times and then brought in Brent Dearmon and Lee Grimes. And after that he talked with Les Miles.

Grunhard was very detailed in saying he wanted a school where he had a chance to get on the field and a place that would help him after football. I thought it was interesting he told me if you are in Kansas City it seems like everyone has a connection to KU or knows someone who does.

Staying close to home was also something that played a factor. It will allow his parents and friends to watch him close and save close to eight hours of driving. I think most people are familiar with his father Tim. He coached the OL at KU and played for Notre Dame and the Chiefs. In my talks with Grunny over the years he always spoke highly of KU to me. That doesn’t hurt to have your parents on board.

Breakdown: The great thing with Grunhard he will arrive at KU already coached up. He has been developed as part one of the best offensive lines in college football. Quinn has done a great job there and those players are put through a vigorous program. Grunhard made it through four years and Brian Kelly is a demanding coach.

He is fundamentally and technically sound. He plays with great leverage and does well in the run block game and pass pro.

I don’t know how much stronger Grunhard will get because he’s gone through Notre Dame for four years. But he doesn’t need to because he is ready to play when he arrives.

I think one of the biggest things that Grunhard will bring is his attitude. He has been playing alongside NFL players since he arrived at Notre Dame. There is a tradition of winning and difficult road of preparation that gets them to that point. Grunhard has been through the battles.

I think that will rub off with teammates and the offensive line. One of his biggest contributions may come off the field as well as on it.

Final Thoughts: I thought center was a concern heading into the season. It has really been a game of musical centers with the rotation. I really don’t know if KU has a true center and in reality has been in mixing in guards who can play center.

Grunhard is a center. Period.

It is what he’s done all his career. I think this pick-up was a necessity. He will be a big part of the offensive line and helping groom some of the younger players over the next two years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News