ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of observations. JK would like your thoughts.

KUFED

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 8, 2013
Against ISU we constantly tried to run the ball up the middle into the strength of their defense. Only threw the ball 14 times with 7 completions. Yesterday we kept running the option out wide into the strength of TCU's defense, which is speed. Daniels only attempted 10 passes before he was injured. Are these stats a result of a lack of confidence in the passing game? It is not a simple as saying KU is a running team. Everyone knows KU wants to run the ball, it's how do you use the pass to open up the running lanes.
The other issue is how far off the line our DB's are playing coupled with bad tackling. The pass that TCU hit from their 1 yard line after Daniels fumble was brutal. KU was 15 yards off the WR at the snap. Was there a miscommunication? If you play that far off, you have to be able to close and make the tackle without help, every time. The lack of effort by #18 to get off the block and protect the barrier on the simple out route that TCU housed was a huge play. The YAC against our defense is killing us. I know KU's secondary is very young on the edge but you have to play better. Tackling is technique married up with desire. KU's DB's go in high way too often. They were bouncing off that big TCU WR all game.
The last point is that KU needs to recruit speed at every position on defense. That was a big difference between the teams yesterday. TCU's defense closed so fast and tackled very well in the open field. It was a difference maker.
I know that this team is still learning how to win and play tough, error free ball for 4 quarters. This season is part of a process. It reminds me of the 2004 to 2006 years when you could see the build up to what became 2007/08.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News