ADVERTISEMENT

A case for Emmett Jones

jolebo

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2015
There are multiple threads all in favor of Leipold and Monken. Even Lanning and Kane are getting some love within multiple threads. So let's have a thread for Jones. (Full disclosure: if Jones is not hired, I will not be too upset. I imagine others who favor Jones will feel the same, because all of us just want to see KU be as successful as it can possibly become.)
  • A HC needs to possess highly effective leadership and organization, not the ability to be an effective playcaller: he will not need to call plays. It sounds like he is trusting DeBord with the offense. The interviewed players already talk about how their attention is different, in a productive manner. Moving forward, Jones will be able to devote himself to executing his plan of action with the HC responsibilities.
  • He has seen what does not work: Being at TT under Kingsbury and KU under Miles, he has firsthand experience of what will not work. Most HC hires are made based on a lengthy successful resume; Jones does not have that resume to what we mention, but he can specifically describe wrong choices, his thought process during that time, how he can relate to the opposite position, and how he would not repeat those actions. There is a good chance that those messed up actions have happened during the last decade with KUFB, before Miles arrived, so he already is ahead with that.
  • He has been a part of the current building up of the program: He was one of Miles' original hires and has seen enough for how much work goes into building up this specific football program. Recruits consistently mentioned the allure to Miles; Jones possesses enough of those qualities but he did it as a position coach. I'd also like to think that if Mike Vollmar is still the FB administrator, this will be his opportunity to actually put more of his fingerprints on the program, with Long and Miles not longer on campus. For a reminder of how we felt when he was hired, click here for that thread.
  • He can continue what began with Miles, which will be a sign of positive consistency for the program: We know of Miles' failures, but he did his part with building up the team with some good quality young players and good quality young coaches. We believe in Drake, Eargle, Jackson, and Jones. We praised Peterson after the 2020 TT game. Grimes already appears to be an upgrade. Despite the criticism, Eliot is leading the team's best unit, which should only improve in 2021. And the players will get to continue working with Iannacchione, who appears to be aligned with Jones. The team was simply young in 2020; they are finally receiving some good quality development.
  • The hiring process is 90% complete: he can hire Partridge or another coach to take over the WRs. If it is Partirdge, his familiarity with the current offense will not require a lot of extra teaching from Jones. Jones does not need hire a new staff. He already knows everyone and what they are capable of achieving. This should help with him not needing to micromanage too much from the beginning.
Yes, I know that enough of you will continue to speak about Jones' lack of overall CFB coaching experience. Too many posters are comparing Jones' potential to what Beaty achieved. Some want to make the Dabo comparison, for specific reasons. In a way, those comparisons are not fair to Jones, because he is not them, and he is in a different situation from when they became HCs. One idea I firmly believe is that if he is hired, Jones will be very mindful of the opportunity. Not many coaches make this jump. It has been stated that he has been walking a path that would lead to this position. He never imagined it happening right now, in the way that it did, but he is in position to possibly achieve a desired goal. He also knows that achieving that goal means nothing if he does not put forth the effort needed to keep it going for him. That is why I believe that he will be successful.

A lot is on the line; all Jones wants is that opportunity to showcase what he is capable of achieving. All of our questions and opinions will be addressed soon enough. I will not meltdown with whatever happens, but Jones deserves more than the " I like him but..." posting that has taken over this forum during the last month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News