ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update With Labaron Philon Out, What's Next For Bill Self, Kansas?

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com

With a number of additions to the roster, and more coming, along with guys like Elmarko Jackson and Jamari McDowell returning, it was only a matter of time before Labaron Philon made the decision to look elsewhere. The staff isn't done bringing in new guys and I get the feeling that Philon just didn't feel comfortable with the roster in terms of what is immediate role might be. I'm not one bit surprised that he made this decision.

I'll I can say is my thoughts/feelings about Rylan Griffen haven't changed. He had an absolutely amazing visit to Kansas and, when the time is right, he'll make his decision and go public with that decision. You all know how I feel about letting a kid have his day. He absolutely deserves to announce his future plans to those who are following his recruitment whenever he's ready. In my opinion, there is no need to panic at all. My guess is something will be announced in the next couple of days, if not sooner.

Koby Brea is down to Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, and UConn. He's conducted Zoom with each of the remaining schools on his list and is in the process of deciding what schools to visit. At this time, I've been told that a visit to Kansas is possible.

Obviously, Kansas can't take everybody and I've said that on a number of occasions. I expect them to add at least a couple more, if not more, but some of that depends on the decision that Johnny Furphy ultimately makes. One name to keep an eye on is Jovan Small. I've reached out to the former Oklahoma State guard and hope to have something for you guys in the near future. According to his Instagram, he recently took a visit to Miami.

Right now, Griffen, Brea, and Small ae the names to keep an eye on moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News