ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update THURSDAY TRANSFER PORTAL UPDATE (PLEASE READ)

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- So, as most of you know, I've been covering recruiting for over 20 years and it hasn't gotten any easier. I want to be the first to bring you everything, but more than anything else, I want the information to be correct. This is something that I take quite seriously and, at times, the level of anxiety that comes my way can be, well, I've been known to lose sleep overthinking things. When it comes to reporting information, I want to be as perfect, or as close to perfect, as I possibly can be. So, when I come through with a report like today, I want you to know that this is what I'm hearing right now. As all of you know, things can change daily, so what I say today might not be the case in two or three days from now. I want to provide updates like the one I'll provide today, but I want to make it clear that, unless I state otherwise, this is what I'm hearing right now and not necessarily what will take place with 100 percent certainty.

-- So, after returning home from a funeral last night, I was told that the staff is in the process of setting up a visit with Mackenzie Mgbako, the 6-foot-8, 185-pound small forward from Roselle (NJ) Catholic High School. Mgbako, the No. 8 ranked player in the 2023 class, had originally planned to attend Duke and was committed to the Blue Devils for close to a year. However, not long ago, Mgbako, a five-star prospect, asked to be released from his LOI and a ton of schools have expressed interest in the elite small forward. I've reached out to several people, including Mgbako and his mother, but from what I've been told, the visit could take place as early as Monday. I was also told that the staff would like the visit to take place ASAP. I want to make it clear: I've made a ton of calls since I got home last night. I'm trying my best to gather some additional information on this. However, the people I have talked to told me the visit could happen Monday and the goal is to get him on campus ASAP.

-- I know for a fact that Primo Spears, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound point guard from Georgetown absolutely loves Kansas. He couldn't get to Lawrence soon enough for his official visit and I'm guessing, in his mind, that his time in Lawrence, his official visit ends today, simply won't last long enough. Last night, I was told that Spears was having the time of his life on his visit to Kansas and was very, very, very happy to be on campus with the coaching staff and other players. I know that he's got a scheduled visit to Florida State, and I'm interested to see if that visit actually takes place. I haven't heard anything to suggest that the visit won't happen, but I'm curious. I hope to have an update on Spears before his official visit to FSU begins.

-- There's been a lot going on with Arterio Morris, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound point guard from Texas the last couple of days. At first, the former five-star prospect was going to announce his decision in two weeks. Then, Morris decided to move up his announcement to Friday night at 5:00. Two days ago, I really thought that Morris was Kansas bound, and that may very well still be the case, but the mood has certainly shifted from the people that I've talked to the last day or so. If you tell me Primo Spears or Arterio Morris is going to commit to Kansas, I'd have to say my gut tells me that it will be Spears, at least that's the feeling I get right now. Listen, I think we can all agree that domestic violence is a serious matter. I haven't talked about it and won't unless the case is resolved. However, from what I've been told, the trial isn't set to begin until June 14, so I'm just not sure the staff can take him before the trial is complete. I'll be interested to see what happens on Friday night, but I have a feeling that, if one of the two signs with Kansas, it will be Primo Spears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News