ADVERTISEMENT

The State of KU Athletics

Mayo

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
Two words. Not good. Goff has a lot of work to do.
KU is going to finish the school year not winning one, single conference championship. We will not win any of the remaining sports (Men's Golf, Women's Tennis, Softball, Men's or Women's Track, Rowing or Baseball).

KU finished 2nd in the following sports: Women's Swimming (lost by over 400 points to UT) and Men's Basketball.

KU finished last in the following sports: Football and Women's Hoops.

KU will likely finish last or has the last seed as of right now in the following sports: Women's Golf (every Big 12 team but KU and KSU are ranked in the top 45), Women's Tennis, and Baseball. Rowing has never finished anything but last or second to last.

I know we all want football to be good, errr... really just sort of somewhat decent, but KU doesn't have one other program besides Men's Hoops that has any real level of sustained success. The culture around the athletic building has to be one of complacency especially if you are a non-revenue sport coach.

Baseball: Coach Price 19 Years. .517 Winning Percentage. You don't want to know what it is against Power 5 Conference schools.
Cross Country: Coach Redwine 21 Years. I've heard he could give two sh!ts about XC.
Track. Coach Redwine 21 Years. This is actually a decent program. Maybe our third best behind Men's Hoops. Women won a national championship in 2013. Sustained success? Not really. Since that national title the women have finished 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 3rd and 5th in the conference meet. Men have placed 2nd in the conference indoor once and in the conference outdoor twice in his tenure. No real men's success on the national level for past 18 years.
Volleyball. Coach Bechard. 22 years. Maybe our second best program behind men's hoops? He has a Final 4 which is a big accomplishment in VB. He has won a conference title.
Soccer. Coach Francis. 22 years. He has had some conference success. Has had a couple of Sweet 16 appearances even as recently as 2019. I mean if you want a top 25-30 program, he's the right man for the job. Rock Chalk Park is one of the best college soccer venues in the US. Talent should be better now.
Softball. Coach McFalls. 3 years. Off to a poor start. 2-9 in conference this year. 28-49 overall with a 5-24 conference record. Based on the tenures of the above coaches, we just need to give her like 15 more years and she will right the ship.
Men's Golf. Coach Bermel. 9 years. I actually think this guy is decent. It hasn't really shown at the conference or national level, but he fields some pretty good teams and seems to recruit decently.
Women's Golf. Coach O'Neil. 16 seasons. This team is consistently bottom quarter of the Big 12. She must be a great person because I am not sure how she keeps her job other than it's typical KU in non-revenue sports to just let someone go get their ass kicked at every single Big 12 conference meet. Her highest team conference tournament finishes in 18 years are as follows: tied for 3rd, 4th and 5th. Other than that it's pretty much been last or next to last.
Rowing. Coach Cook-Callen. 3 years. Took over for the only rowing coach in KU history and has kept the mediocrity rolling. They do have 60 girls on the roster though so it's clearly not just a Title IX move....
Tennis. Coach Chapman. 7 seasons. He's fine. I'd love to know what his recruiting travel budget is.... he gets players from Russia, Greece, Mexico, Romania, South Africa, Spain, Thailand, Venezuela and Canada.
Women's Hoops. Coach Schneider. 6th season. Guy seemed to be a great pick. Up and comer that won huge at D2 level. Did a nice job at SFA. He has won 4 conference games out of 18. Once. It's been 3 conference wins or less every year. Not sure how much more time you give him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News