ADVERTISEMENT

Portal News The latest news with the portal news and where the staff may go

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Things are starting to get a little trickier now with the portal as numbers start to mount up a bit in terms of need.

Right now I think the staff will target a DE, a DL, a LB, and two OL, with one being a center. All of a sudden there is some work to do and try and find these spots over the next couple weeks. That would still give them time to get them in for spring football which I think would be a big factor. But there is always the possibility they can wait for the late portal but that would be after spring football.

There just aren't many centers if any in the portal who can play at the P5 level. It is a hard position to find. But from I gather the replacement for Novitsky right now might not be on the roster. Then there is another spot open with the Armaj Reed-Adams news.

On the DL the two players I have been in contact with are Javier Derritt and Cashius Howell.

Derritt told me on Friday he was interested in Kansas. But since the last time I have communicated with him he has picked up offers from Michigan State, USC, and Minnesota. His former head coach at North Dakota State Matt Entz was hired at USC. So, there is going to be a strong connection there.

Howell told me he wants to visit KU and would try to schedule a visit in the next 7-10 days. He has kept a lot of his offers off social media. One school that made a hard push at him from the beginning is Florida. He will take an official visit there. I also believe Missouri has been involved.

Howell and Derritt are both local players. Howell played at Rockhurst and Derritt at St. Thomas Aquinas.

One player Jim Panagos was in touch with was Grady Kelly, a DL from Colorado State. But the word is he is getting NIL offers in the $250,000 range and has picked up recent offers from Florida State and North Carolina. Texas A&M has been involved with him. Panagos was the first to offer him.

I am monitoring the portal often to see who goes in. Over the next week there has to be some movement because they are going to have to get recruits in for an official visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News