ADVERTISEMENT

Football News Some thoughts and info early in fall camp (updated Sat. 7:40 a.m.)

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
UPDATE: Saturday 7:40 a.m. - Heard late last night Caleb Taylor has had a very good camp and is one player standing out.

--------------------------

I’ve done a lot of asking around gathering some intel, but the fact is they are going on their fourth practice.

A great response to one of my questions from a coach, “What do you want me to say we’ve only had three practices.”

I said before fall camp this is going to be light year’s different than last year because a lot of the speculation will be lower because we know the players competing. We know where they stand on depth chart at least in general.

I still gather the staff is watching Daniels and Bean like a competition. They are getting equal reps. Daniels is the guy, but they are going to push both.

Daniels had a couple rough practices, but it is part of the game. I asked him about it and he said… “There's always some throws that you wish you could have back, because it's little things. You could be one second off and it results in a negative play. But for me, I just want to grow on that. I went back home, went back into the film room, learned from that and was able to come out here today be able to progress from it.”

I’m getting the feel they love the running backs and that might be the strongest group. I also think you are going to see a lot of new things offensively in terms of sets and groupings that you didn’t see last year.

On the offensive line I really expect Armaj Reed-Adams to stay at right guard. He felt more comfortable and after playing left guard most of last spring and made the transition. Two guys to watch for on the two deep are Dominick Puni and Dre Doiron. They are still learning but I get the feel they are going to make up ground.

I have said all along tight end is going to be one of the most heavily contested positions. One interesting thing I have picked up on is one player who controls where he fits on the depth chart is Trevor Kardell. I get the sense the staff sees him with as much upside as anybody in the group. But this is kind of his time to make or break. Outside of that I think this will be a spot where things change weekly. There is not much separation at all with this group.

I can’t come on here and make anything up about receiver because I just haven’t heard enough either way. I go back and point to the fact it is very early. There are some positions it is way too early and there are no indications I have been given how things are playing out. Receiver is one of them.

I’m calling it now; you are going to hear some noise from Tommy Dunn and D.J. Withers. I hear they have looked good. The DT spot I think it going to hold up with a lot of depth. The interesting thing is if the young guys step up the less they will look at the portal.

Don’t even ask me about linebackers. From what I gather there is going to be so much competition I wouldn’t bet a dime. I do know one player that entered fall camp with a lot of positive talk is Taiwan Berryhill. As long as everyone stays healthy I’m calling my shot of Rich Miller, Craig Young, and Berryhill to start week one.

The guy I’m watching in the secondary is Ra’Mello Doston. As I type this I’m going with Dotson, Gervin, Logan and Grant as your starting secondary. This is all on Dotson to be physical and tackle. If he can hold up, he’s the other starter. I think there will be an emphasis on players who can tackle over those who can cover. Dotson told me he worked hard to get more physical. I know this doesn’t sound like a lot but he said he put on five pounds over the summer. That’s a lot for a DB. They want players who can tackle and wrap up. If Dotson can’t do it then someone like McGary may be next in line or move a safety over as Paul or Dye.

When Jake Schoonover was heading to Arkansas State he told me Addison could push Vernon. But from what I am taking in, Vernon has solidified himself as the top punter. Even though there is more depth Kenny Logan said he expects to be back leading the way in the return game.

Jumping to NIL hearing Matt Baty met with the team this week and told him his plans on what they will do for each player. I was told the information was well-received among the players. There are some things picking up behind the scenes with NIL and I believe KU is going to be in a good place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News