ADVERTISEMENT

KU Baseball Some quick thoughts on the KU baseball hire

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
A couple days ago I posted that an assistant from LSU was in the mix. Well, it turns out that is going to be the hire by Kansas.

Dan Fitzgerald will be the next coach at KU. I know everyone is calling him an assistant from LSU, but some people involved in college baseball told me he is really known as THE assistant from Dallas Baptist.

Dallas Baptist is where he earned his reputation as a recruiter. I talked to someone who knows him and was told he is known as a tireless recruiter. This person said when he started recruiting he was single so he was at every major event around the country. When he got married all the coaches said they were glad because there was no way he would still be at all these events. But they were wrong.

"He outworked everybody but when he got married we thought he would stop showing everywhere," a source said. "But he didn't. He kept showing up everywhere like nothing changed. He is a machine. This will be a great hire."

The next word used to describe him is intense. I have been told that he is an intense competitor. When you get on the baseball field there is no messing around.

Something else a couple people told me is when he was at Dallas Baptist they were one of the best programs in the region. They win 40 games every year and go the NCAA's regularly. Last year they upset Oregon State and went to the Super Regionals. I was told the impressive thing they do is win with less and compete against bigger programs by doing things a different way.

Those are some of the traits and qualities he will need to bring to KU. He will have to find a way to do it as we all there are challenges. I think Travis Goff found an intense, tireless worker, who knows how to recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News