ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Some quick thoughts from the game

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Back in the hotel room, long game, long night. Have an early flight so some quick thoughts. Some of these are without watching all the replay of the game but I had a second screen with the game on a delay so I could rewatch a lot of plays.

First off what a great win for the program and for Leipold and the players to get that.

The first thing I thought sitting in the press room is watching Jason Bean smile. In this day and age players just pack their bags and leave when they don't get their way. But Bean is the great example of what happens when you stick it out. They have made it too easy for kids to leave and think the grass is always greener on another side but it isn't. Bean came back after a bad ending to the Liberty Bowl and stuck with it and now he rewrote the Guaranteed Rate Bowl record book.

Bean is also leaving 7th on the passing list at KU and second in TD passes. He is a huge reason for the success this season.

I don't know where the PFF scores will be but Kenny Logan played a damn good game. He was everywhere. The other guy that I felt has been solid all year long is Marvin Grant.

The defense just didn't get much pressure. No doubt they missed Booker off the edge.

Barry Odom is a really good defensive coach. I was in the post game and could tell he was frustrated because they tried zone then man then zone and man again. He said nothing worked.

Grimm and Arnold were really good. That WR group can be damn good next season.

Credit UNLV they didn't fold and they will be a tough team. They do some good things offensively and they will get better. They are young. That is KU's opponent week two next season.

The OL hung in there enough to give Bean time but they struggled in the run game and UNLV wasn't going to let Neal beat them.

The penalties killed the flow of the game, but what I saw a lot of them were penalties. The call on Cobee was just a missed call.

I thought Joyner was active at DE and looked to the best one getting pressure.

I thought I heard someone say the attendance was a little over 26000 but I haven't seen the number. Thought it was a solid KU turnout.

Now it is off to watch the portal and see how things go. Early flight tomorrow and a slow week means good news because nobody is going in the portal at least yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News