ADVERTISEMENT

SKYLAR THOMPSON TALKS JUNIOR DAY VISIT

Randy Withers

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2003
Three-star QB Skylar Thompson is one of the many prospects that will make their way to Lawrence on Saturday for Junior Day. The First Team All-State selection and Simone Award finalist from Independence (MO) Fort Osage is interested to find out more about the program's new direction under David Beaty.

"I'm just ready to get out and see something new," Thompson said of his trip to Mount Oread. "I like the new coaching staff and KU, and It seems like they are doing the right thing. I'm looking forward to it."

The Indians standout has already talked with Beaty and quarterbacks coach Rob Likens. He like what he's heard about the new air-raid offense they are planning to run at KU.

"From what I could gather, they are going to throw is around," Thompson said of the new system. "And they said I'd fit well in their offense. They want someone who can throw it, and who is athletic enough to make plays when plays breakdown."

Though he coaches on the defensive side of the ball, Thompson has connected with Kansas City (MO) Rockhurst alum Kevin Kane. The Jayhawks new linebackers coach has made a good impression on the young QB.

"I've talked to Coach Kane mostly," he said of the former Jayhawk defender. "He seems like an awesome guy. That's what I'm looking forward to though this weekend, seeing the coaches, and getting know them better, personally."

A dual-threat QB, Thompson has yet to land his first Division 1 offer. He said KU has talked with him about a scholarship, but they are looking to see more from him first.

"They said they really, really like me," Thompson said of the Kansas staff. "But Coach Likens isn't going to offer until he sees me throw in person this spring."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News