ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update: Wednesday, May 18th 9:15 am

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I'm going to get into some of the players and what I am hearing in a bit down the thread. Some of the biggest news will come today with the change of the rule voting. Once they vote to erase the 25-man limit, folks recruiting is going to change drastically over the next two years.

What I have been told this is a two-year cycle where they will test this new rule. I was talking to someone in college football last night and we were talking about the fact you are going to see less and less high school players recruited. He said, "You won't see schools like Alabama and Ohio State sign their max of high school players.

Recruiting as you know it is going to change like it has never been before.

You are going to see program shuffle through players faster than it ever has been.

The ability to sign as many as you need to get to 85 is going to give recruiting a different look than any coach or fan has experienced.

I think more players will enter the portal at a faster rate and I also think you will see schools push players out faster. If a staff realizes they made a mistake with some players they can run them off and go sign as many as they want next year to get to 85.

The whole "we need to recruit high school players" is out the door. This will be a learning experience for everybody.

------------

One of the other rules that not many are talking about is changing the limitations of coaches and doing away with any restrictions. I have talked to several people and they have said they don't know exactly what this will mean. This may allow as many coaches to help in practice or on the field as a head coach wants. One of the other question marks is how many coaches can be on the road recruiting. Some believe this means more coaches can go out.

One source told me this morning he was hearing it will be up to each conference how they want to do it.

But this could be something else that really strains budgets of athletic departments.

------------

Jarrett Paul and Drew Miller will end their visits today. I think Paul is one of the most "must-gets" of all the players right now. He can play safety and corner and has played at a high level of competition. He would give the staff someone who can play different positions in a defensive backfield that needs help.

Without talking to Miller I assume he will take more visits after KU.

Savion Herring will visit Friday. Again he's still getting interest. When he bumped and canceled Iowa State for KU I felt good he was KU bound. Then South Carolina came calling and is trying to get him in for a visit.

Next week Jalen Dye a safety from Palomar will take an official. Interesting note when I talked to him his dad is former KC Royal Jermaine Dye.

Coffeyville OL Ma'Kyi Lee said he plans to take a visit to KU but he has a lot of Power Five schools recruiting him, so he was tough to read.

The KU staff has also made contact with Buffalo Kruize an OL from City College of San Francisco, who was the #1 juco team in the nation. He played left and right tackle.

When you look at players like Miller, Dye, Lee, and Kruize these are all players with three years to play (Kruize I still need to confirm). So, do you take a player with three years left who has shown what they can do at the juco level or do you take a high school player with four?

I like Kaleb Purdy. But I take Jalen Dye over Purdy based off film. Would I take Livingston or Ma'Kyi Lee? Probably Lee based on what I saw him do against some good DEs.

Last night LV Bunkley told me KU is very much in the mix with OU and Virginia Tech. He made it sound like Utah is out.

Marvin Grant from Purdue told me KU is still high on his list but would not give any hints what other schools he might visit.

With this 25-man limit going away my concern is there are a bunch of schools sitting at 83-84 scholarships who can now go out and use a couple more. That means more schools will start looking for players.

Based on my communication with Davion Westmoreland I feel good he is solid with KU, but this landscape is going to change and I don't know that anybody is safe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News