ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update: Latest info- Wednesday, June 28

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Things are starting to get to the point we are going to find out the fate a lot of recruits in the upcoming days.

Two recruits that I have stopped tracking are David Abajian and Xavier Porter. Although they haven't announced anything publicly I believe they both are telling staffs behind the scenes of their intentions. I don't think KU will be the pick.

I don't expect to hear a lot of inside information on Deshawn Warner. I think he is keeping his thoughts very close and to a tight group. I think there is a chance even his teammates and close friends will not know where is going until right up to his announcement. One of the biggest leaks that happens in recruiting is when a recruit tells a staff he is "not" going there and that staff tells people they aren't getting him. Warner could possibly wait to tell staffs just minutes before he announces or even after.

I still think three teams are in the running the most with KU, Washington, and Texas. From things I gather Kansas and Washington could have a slight lead, but like someone told me yesterday you can't discount Texas because if they want to play the NIL game then the others can't beat them.

I get the sense that KU made up a lot of ground with Temerrick Johnson but I just don't know if they can overtake Oklahoma State. I think they are the favorites right now. I know he liked Terry Samuel and Taiwo Onatolu.

Had a good talk last night with Tyler Simmons and I will have more later. I do think KU is very much in the hunt with him. If I had to bet, I would say KU and Virginia are the leaders. Simmons said one thing that stood out was how much KU was invested in him. He likes Panagos a lot. Now, the catch is going to be the possibility of a late July unofficial visit to a school he isn't mentioning. If that happens this will drag out for a while.

Which takes me to Chima Chineke. He is the other inside DL on the list and it is too early to count him out. The rumors are going around that Iowa is the strong leader, but as time keeps ticking away the more KU is in this. I know he has been talking with Jim Panagos every day. Texas Tech filled up and I hear Oklahoma State is out. Each day that passes and he gets further away from his official to Iowa last weekend the better it is for KU.

There has been talk that Joseph Anderson may have given a silent verbal to Nebraska, but still wanted to take a couple visits. I don't know how true that is. Some other people I spoke with tell me Matt Rhule wouldn't go for that. Anderson hasn't done many interviews and giving any hints how things stand. Personally I think Iowa is the team to beat.

The hardest recruit to read is Dakyus Brinkley. I think there is a 50/50 chance he pushes his recruiting into the season. He told me if he is not ready to decide then he has enough confidence in himself that offers will still be there later.

KU is still in it with Elias Williams he told me last night. But like Brinkley patience may be needed. He wants to camp at Florida State at the end of July. If he does that it will drag out. Then he wants to wait to announce his decision until the season. But he could still commit to a school before that. I found it interesting the other day he was on Twitter asking fans about KU, Indiana, and Missouri. He had graphics from those visits posted. But nothing from UCF who some feel has been the leader.

The Nick Marsh rumors are so rampant I'm to the point I am not paying much attention to them. I hear the staff at Michigan State believes it is between them and Penn State. I heard one rumor that it could come down to an NIL war and if that happens Michigan State and Pitt could be at the top in that category. All of these insiders who cover and are connected to other schools rarely mention Kansas. But I doubt their info. I think Kansas is in it but I don't think we hear anything until he announces in a couple weeks.

KU still has a lot of recruits on the board for a few spots. It could go several ways. They could be full in a week or they could go into the season looking for 2-3 spots. I am talking with 2025 recruits and will have some of their thoughts in July. Will save some stories when recruiting really slows down with the dead period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News