ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update: Friday, June 24

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Here is an update based off things I am hearing:

Logan Brantley- LB- Brantley still maintains that he will make an announcement on July 1st. I have put in a FutureCast for him. As far as I know he has not taken any other visits and canceled his others after his KU trip.

Jarra "Bear" Anderson- DT- The fact the football facility has his name on there has to mean good news for KU. I put in a FutureCast when he canceled his Colorado and Washington State trips after visiting KU. He canceled his CU trip at 10 p.m. and he was supposed to leave the next morning.

Guerlens Milfort- DL- Don't count out Milfort quite yet. Panagos has stayed on him and I think KU is back in the picture. Word is Pitt got a couple DL who fit the same mold and have slow-played him. This one could be interesting to watch.

D.J. Jones- DE- At this point it looks like Jones is going to wait and see else might develop. With the June visit period about to end that means the recruiting will drag on into the fall.

Marcus Calvin- DT- He told me he wants something to compare his KU trip with. He had a visit set with Marshall but has canceled that and will go to Vanderbilt. The one concern here is Vanderbilt will sell the SEC hard. That is an advantage they will have against KU.

Dillan Fontus- DE- Last word I got is he has plane tickets to Nebraska and Maryland and coaches will know where he is visiting once he gets there. The things I have heard lead me to believe Fontus had a very good visit to KU. But he's a prospect with a lot of options and may not decide soon.

Jacob Booth- OL- Probably the toughest recruit to read. Was very responsive before his visit but hasn't talked since visiting KU. He's from a town just under 6,000 in population so there hasn't been a lot of media attention on him. There has been some talk he might want to stay closer to home. There just isn't a lot of concrete info on him after the trip.

Lorenzo McCaskill- LB- The transfer from Louisiana is still looking at options. There are schools calling and being a 2nd team All Sun Belt LB he is on the radar for other schools. He still has to graduate at Louisiana which won't happen until later in the summer. He knows Kalon Gervin, Cornell Wheeler and Rich Miller. There are connections. Chris Simpson offered him out of high school.

Brandon High- RB- I think KU is in the lead but like others he's being patient because he has options. He wants to take an unofficial visit to TCU at the end of July. High school players get one week at the end of July to take unofficial visits.

Calvin Clements- OL- I think we know a lot more after the visit to Baylor. And the visit to Waco does concern me. I think the KU staff has done a great job coming back and moving up his list. For whatever reason I just don't know if KSU will factor in his decision. And unless Iowa State comes out of nowhere I think it is down to KU and Baylor.

Looking ahead- I don't know how many total high school players the staff will take because I guarantee they will leave numbers for portal players. If there are 25 available I can see if being 15 high school players and 10 from the portal or transfers. That will depend on how many players leave and how many spots they have open. With the change of the 25-man rules you can't think like you use to when it comes to recruiting. All those old ways of doing things are going to be out the window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News