ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Practice Observations: Through two days

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Today I focused on the defensive ends all practice. I walked with them and stayed with the group the whole time.

Taiwo Onatolu doesn't get much talk on the board, but he's solid. He's one of those coaches who does a good job coaching and you don't see get too high or low. He's not someone who tends to raise his voice. He has a calm demeanor but when you watch the DE they pay attention and grasp what he says.

Maybe I am just being over optimistic here, but I do like the makeup of this group the more I watch them in person.

I know we talk about the physical appearance of players and that doesn't make a player. But if a coach has some ability and a frame to work with that goes a long way.

I'm not so sure this group is better physically than last year's group. When I look at Austin Booker, Dylan Brooks, Jereme Robinson, Patrick Joyner and some of these guys I actually think the DE group may be deeper. They might be missing Phelps and that true pass rush guy, but there are bodies and they look right.

I was watching Joyner today and I think he moves well and he's not a small guy. He's got some thickness and if he can be healthy that is a big difference adding him.

Yesterday I talked to Robinson and he was telling me that Joyner and Brooks have that fast-twitch about their game that is needed to replace Lonnie.

The longer I hung around that group today the more I started to like the potential. You look down the lineup and there are several players Hatcher, Robinson, Brooks, Joyner, Westmoreland, and Booker who I think can contribute. Maybe this isn't just relying on one player but more of a group effort.

Also as I watched them I wonder if they start playing with a line-up of getting the best on the field instead of a pass-rush and a strong-side DE. No matter what they are labeled get the best on the field. I think Brooks and Booker are going to grow out of the "weakside DE" tag but if they can get to the QB then who cares.

I have been skeptical of what the DE position will look like this year. After being around them for the open part of practice I'm getting a better feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News