ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Post-spring thoughts on the defense

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
As we head into the offseason and summer months, I don’t know what to expect from the defense. I have thought about this over the weekend and was going to run this piece on Monday after laying everything out by position. But the defense is more complex than the offense.

Although I think the DT position can be better you still are replacing over 1000 snaps from the top players who are gone. And the elephant in the room is getting to the quarterback. That is going to be an ongoing question mark through fall camp.

I do think there are positions the defense will be improved.

DL- I am combining the DE and DT into the defensive line unit. I will start with the ends. Losing Lonnie Phelps hurts and we all know that. It is a huge void. If the season started right now, I believe the ends would be Jereme Robinson and Hayden Hatcher.

Hatcher told me he and Robinson play the same DE position, but they are interchangeable. He said he is not considered a rush end but a DE. Austin Booker has the talent and is still learning. Patrick Joyner was recruited to be the pass rush guy by was slowed by a procedure. I just don’t know if there is a guaranteed answer at that position.

I do like the upside on the interior. I think the group of Tommy Dunn, Gage Keys, Devin Phillips and D.J. Withers can be more explosive than last year’s DL. I think they will be deeper. I am not concerned about the inside part but will admit going into spring camp I was. However, after talking to people this group is going to be fine.

LB- I am counting on this unit to be better using the experience and system factor. Bringing back Miller, Young, and Berryhill are the starters from last year. Just the fact they are back you must hope they will be improved having a year in the system and being familiar with each other.

I think this is where Borland can make up some ground on getting to the quarterback. Last year Young finished second on the team in sacks. I think we will see more creativity from Borland with blitz packages and he may not have much choice. There is a way to get the linebackers more involved in the pass rush.

I like the things I am hearing about four-star recruit Cornell Wheeler and JB Brown. I have heard Brown would be someone who would be good on blitzes. They will have some depth adding in Jayson Gilliom and Tristan Fletcher. Will have to wait until fall camp to see what Logan Brantley can bring as a true freshman.

Secondary- There is no reason for this group not to be improved and solid. They have over 4000 snaps back in the secondary between the safeties and corners. There is good depth and I think they can be better than serviceable.

Cobee Bryant has proven he can be a guy at the Big 12 level. That leaves Mello Dotson and Kalon Gervin to fight it out for the second position and I think Dilworth and McGhee will push others in this group.

Overall, this group has more experience and depth than last year. The one thing I would like to see improved is being more physical.

I have the same thoughts about the safeties as I do the corners. The main players are back and there is leadership and experience. Kenny Logan and Marvin Grant sat out the spring so they will be rested and fresh coming out of April. That gave players like Jalen Dye and Mason Ellis a chance to get a lot of reps. That will only help with development and could be a plus they were given the extra snaps in the spring.

Final Thoughts: I know people are worried about the defense and think the success will come from the offense outscoring teams. I have been negative at times on the defense but I am not all doom and gloom. There were times last season when they played well over a 4-5 drive span they just need more consistency.

The glaring issue is finding a pass rusher. And that will be the biggest question going in the summer. I believe the staff will look to the portal for extra help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News