ADVERTISEMENT

O-Line Expectations

JJJHWK

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
When you look at our commits and roster who do you think will be in the starting line-up next year. It is perfectly appropriate to base your decision on what you think S&C and playing in the Spring will contribute to each of the guys. I have them listed in my mind this way:
Tackles Guards Centers Guys who can go 2 ways
Martin Visinia Bragg D. Williams - guard and tackle
Mazyck Peters Beckmann - guard and tackle
Shelly-Smith Banks Rhodes - guard and tackle
McCauley Smith Bloomfield - guard and tackle
Garza - guard and tackle
Gibson - center and guard
With this group, based on what changes I can imagine will be demanded by the new offense, it seems to me quickness and athleticism would be more highly regarded than just pure bulk and power. I would expect three guys to top the list of tackles; Martin, Mazyck and Shelly-Smith. Others who could play behind them if needed would be D. Williams and Rhodes. So, you start the best two of Martin, Mazyck and Shelly-Smith at Tackle.
At guard: Apa is the lone returner I would expect to hold his spot for sure. The other guy to start likely comes from Gibson, Banks, Rhodes and D. Williams. Everyone else is scrambling for back up spots.
At center: I am hoping Bragg takes charge of this spot although Gibson played last year and did well. As I see it Gibson will start at center unless he improves our line by starting at guard with Bragg at center. So my starting line looks like this:
Center - Bragg - Gibson
Guard - Visinia and Gibson - Banks, Rhodes, Williams
Tackles - Martin, Shelley-Smith - Mazyck, Williams, Rhodes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News