ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Now that Kansas has reached out, some thoughts on Zeke Mayo

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
This past season, Zeke Mayo averaged 19.1 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 1.2 steals per game at South Dakota State. Offensively, Mayo shot 46.8 percent from the field, 37.3 percent from behind the arc, and 83.4% from the free-throw line. Because of his performance on the court, my guess is that a lot of programs come calling during his time in the portal.

As I mentioned yesterday, I spent a few minutes with Mayo on Tuesday night and I don't expect anything to happen in the near future. According to Mayo, he plans to test the NBA waters before making a final decision. Now, do I think Kansas is an option? Oh, absolutely. Do I think that Kansas is currently the overwhelming team to beat? No, I don't get that feeling.

I believe that Mayo will go through the process and, if the NBA isn't an option this next season, he'll pick the school that is best for him moving forward. I know that it has been said on this board that Mayo and Devin Neal are very close, which I've been told is exactly the case. I'm guessing that Devin is going to recruit his buddy to join him at Kansas, but I'm also guessing that, at the end of the day, Devin will support whatever decision Zeke ultimately decides to make.

I'll check back in with Zeke in the near future and see if a visit has been set or if any type of zoom meeting took place or is scheduled to take place. I guess my main point is, and I could be totally wrong, I don't expect a decision to be made right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News