ADVERTISEMENT

NO. 1 KANSAS ROLLS PAST MANHATTAN, 99-61: WHAT STOOD OUT.

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Kansas gets off to another fast start on Friday night

For the second straight game, No. 1 Kansas erupted for 99 points against Manhattan. As a team, the Jayhawks shot 38-of-67 (56.7%) from the field, 10-of-26 (38.5%) from behind the arc, and 13-of-16 (81.3%) from the free-throw line.

In moving to 2-0, Kansas dished out 25 assists, committed 14 turnovers, tallied seven steals, and blocked nine shots. For the season, the Jayhawks are averaging 99 points, shooting 63% from the field, 47% from behind the arc, and 81% from the free-throw line.

Balanced scoring continues to be a strength for Kansas

After two games, five players, Hunter Dickinson (19.5), Kevin McCullar, Jr. (18.5), KJ Adams, Jr. (13), Johnny Furphy (10.5), and Parker Braun (10.0) average double-figures in scoring for Bill Self’s squad.

On Friday night, the Jayhawks were led by Hunter Dickinson (18), Kevin McCullar, Jr. (15), Johnny Furphy (15), Parker Braun (10), and KJ Adams, Jr. (14). On the night, McCullar, Jr., was 1-of-5 from three, Elmarko Jackson was 1-of-3, Johnny Furphy was 3-of-7, Parker Braun was 1-of-1, Jamari McDowell was 1-of-2, Michael Jankovich was 2-of-2, and Hunter Dickinson was 1-of-1.

With its ability to score from all three levels, Kansas, at this stage, looks to be extremely difficult to beat when clicking on all cylinders. When the threes are falling, this is a completely different team.

Elmarko Jackson led the way with 10 assists

Late on Friday night, Bill Self said that Kevin McCullar, Jr., will still take on the role of backup point guard, when necessary, but it will be interesting to see how long that lasts moving forward this season.

In starting his second straight game, freshman guard Elmarko Jackson dished out 10 assists and committed just one turnover in 29 minutes of action. Offensively, Jackson, in scoring nine points, was 3-of-6 from the field, 1-of-3 from behind the arc, and 2-of-2 from the free-throw line.

Jackson not only did a great job of taking care of the basketball but was the leading distributor in the game. He has the potential to be a special player for Kansas.

Johnny Furphy keeps getting better and better

After the game, I asked freshman Johnny Furphy how he was feeling, and he made it sound like he's close to 100 percent. I think this is another newcomer that has the chance to be really special moving forward. I really thought that he would make the biggest difference in shooting the ball, and I still believe that will be the case, but he had some putbacks tonight that were quite impressive. He also had a really nice pull-up jumper in the second half.

There's no doubt in my mind that, when it comes to his role on the offensive end of the court, he's going to be more than just a shooter for this team. I absolutely expect him to hit some big shots, but he's certainly got the ability to score from all three levels.

Furphy, without question, is getting healthy at just the right time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News