ADVERTISEMENT

Nippert Stadium

UVAJayhawk

Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
A few thoughts on the Nippert Stadium experience….

The good:

The stadium was clean and neat, adjacent to the basketball arena. Looked like it had been renovated in recent years. You went through security and had your ticket scanned about a block from the stadium which was convenient.

We entered the stadium 🏟 on the visitor side which is on the concourse located about halfway up the upper deck.

The field was in a bowl and the seating sight lines were excellent. The seats we bought were on the 50-yard line in the upper deck but we abandoned them to sit in the KU section near the visitor side goal line.

The luxury boxes and press box on the other side of the field looked relatively new and nice too.

Enjoyed the Bearcat marching band. The quality of the sound system in the stadium was very good.

You could buy beer 🍺 at the stadium. The concession stands looked newish. There were also a few food trucks onsite offering non traditional fare.

Finally, there was a free shuttle from the Eden Street parking garage that dropped you off about a block from the ticketing gate and that took you back to the garage after the game.

The Bearcat fans we interacted with were nice folks too. A couple of fans were wearing Michigan gear, prompting me to make a comment to the Bearcat fans sitting next to me about how brave they were to wear that in the state of Ohio. The Bearcat fans responded by saying that they liked Wolverines better than the Buckeyes!

The bad:

You couldn’t see the video board from the visitor seating, or from the seating in the end zone adjacent to where we were sitting. Nippert needs second video board above the opposite end zone too.

Someone needs to redesign the Men’s bathrooms. The one I visited was single stall toilets only, no troughs or urinals. Moreover, the bathrooms on the upper concourse were locked after the game. Those needing to go were forced to use port-a-potties.

The food concession fare was blah. I hadn’t had dinner and the only dinner-like fare in the lower level concession stands that I found were hot dogs.

A fight broke out at halftime on visitor side lower level concession area. Talked to a bystander and he said someone tried to stop a family from using the family restroom. Fisticuffs broke out leaving one man bleeding profusely from a cut on his forehead that definitely required a trip to the hospital for stitches. Also was told a teenage girl was punched too. Saw her mother, a KU fan, screaming in distress when told about the incident.

The garage parking fee was $25.

Overall:

Liked Nippert Stadium better than Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown. Nippert is nicer than Memorial Stadium as Memorial Stadium currently is configured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News