ADVERTISEMENT

NICK TIMBERLAKE A HUGE ADDITION FOR BILL SELF, KANSAS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
During the postseason banquet a few weeks ago, Kansas head coach Bill Self said he was looking for a few players in particular to add to the roster from the transfer portal. Earlier in the week, I said Kansas needed to do everything possible to land Hunter Dickinson, who is scheduled to begin his visit to Kansas tomorrow, along with Nick Timberlake, who visited Kansas back on April 7. Well, the first big domino has officially fallen, as Timberlake, the 6-foot-4, 205-pound shooting guard from Towson verbally committed to Kansas earlier today.

This past season, Timberlake, the No. 16 ranked player in the transfer portal, averaged 17.7 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2,4 assists, and one steal per game. Offensively, he shot 45.5 percent from the field, 41.6 percent from behind the arc, and 84.5 percent from the free-throw line. Timberlake, during the 2022-23 season, had scoring games of 27, 23, 26, 21, 24, 20, 24, 32, 31, 29, 26, and 34. He scored in double-figures 27 times and scored between 10 and 19 points 15 times.

Additionally, on the offensive side of the ball, Timberlake four or more shots from behind the arc eight times and, in all, had outings from behind the arc where he went 4-7, 4-7, 3-8, 2-2, 2-7, 2-5, 2-4, 3-7, 2-6, 3-6, 3-7, 5-9, 3-5, 3-7, 7-11, 6-10, 2-4, 7-10, 6-11, 6-11, and 3-5.

For Kansas, Jalen Wilson, Kevin McCullar (could return), Gradey Dick, Joe Yesufu, MJ Rice, Bobby Pettiford, etc., have all moved on from Kansas. A decision about Kyle Cuffe, Jr., still needs to be made, but there are certainly some spots to fill for the upcoming season, and Timberlake just filled a major hole for Bill Self and his staff. With the addition of Timberlake, Kansas has added a player that can score the basketball in a variety of ways, comes with a ton of experience, and will be ready to step in right away and play a major role.

There was a time when I thought that UCONN was likely the team to beat. Now, I hadn't heard that from anybody in particular, but that's where most of the smoke was leading. I know that Timberlake was going to announce this week, but I was quite surprised when I was told that he had committed to Kansas while at Kemper's (son) track meet.

Bill Self, after the banquet, talked about living in the portal and finding ways to improve KU's roster. Self took a giant step forward in making a huge statement this offseason with the addition of Nick Timberlake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News