ADVERTISEMENT

Never heard Coach Self tell this story: Jalen Wilson

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Here's my question from earlier today, along with his response.

Q: When Coach Beilein left Michigan, did you know right away that you were going to throw your hat back in ring?

A: Well, I screwed it up in high school. I screwed it up because he was a Kansas guy. He was ready to go. At least that's what we were told. And I didn't pull the trigger. It wasn't the assistant's call; it was my call. I didn't pull the trigger because I thought it was a little early in the process and still had a chance to evaluate some others, and he was ready to do it. So we went from being maybe right in the league to now it's over, he's going to go somewhere else. And that's the interesting thing about recruiting. It doesn't always work on the school's timeframe. Most of the time it works on the individual's timeframe, and his timeframe was to get it over with, and our timeframe was, "Well, let's watch him and evaluate everybody we're recruiting a little bit more." But obviously when Coach Beilein left and he became available, yeah, we got him in here and tried to get it done as quick as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News