ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts My top five position battles to watch

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quarterback- Will start with the obvious position and we all know there are three candidates leading the way in Miles Kendrick, Jason Bean, and Jalon Daniels. The hardest part is handicapping the race because they all bring different things to the table.

I still believe whoever starts game one isn’t as big of a deal as we always make it out to be. I think there will be more than one quarterback who plays this year.

Right now, I give the slightest of leads to Miles Kendrick based off his ability to lead and be a game manager. As this staff starts their KU careers, I think one thing they are going to do is go with someone they feel is steady over someone who has potential but could make mistakes. Some of the things I have heard through fall camp lead me to believe I will give a slight edge to Kendrick or Bean but we have two weeks to go.

I think Bean could also serve as a running QB if they installed a package for him. But when you look back at the trends from Buffalo they didn’t do a lot of QB run game.

Running Back- Early in camp there were some running backs dinged up and that allowed true freshman Devin Neal to shoulder the load and get a lot of carries. Getting that chance to show what he can do helped him a lot and I think he is battling for that top spot.

But others have returned to the line-up and that makes it a strong competition for one spot between Neal, Velton Gardner, Daniel Hishaw, and Amauri Pesek-Hickson.

They all have different styles, and this race is way too close to call who gets the nod on opening day. They will play and the competition will likely go into game week.

Offensive Line- There are two positions I am watching the closest and that’s right guard and right tackle. With Chris Hughes back it will be a tight race between him and Colin Grunhard. I think Grunhard has the early edge but like other positions this one could get close as game day approaches.

I think Grunhard will also be ready to be the number two center, so he is going to get snaps. Something that Fuchs said yesterday when I asked him he wants all of his players to play different positions. He also talked about how Novitsky might know the offense better than he does. He also talked how Mike Ford knows the offense and that takes me to right tackle.

I believe one of the best competitions will be between Ford and Bryce Cabeldue. Last year Cabeldue got some snaps and learned what it was like to play Big 12 football. I asked Fuchs about these two and he said he likes them both. One thing he did mention was Ford knows the offense. I’m giving the slightest of edges to Ford.

Linebacker- I think this will be an ongoing battle that won’t end in the next week or when they play the first game. When I look at this position, I expect there to be some players who can play different positions.

I will start off with the Hawk. Yeah, that’s right the Hawk is back. It is what the hybrid position was called the last few years and they will keep the name. I talked with Nate Betts quite a while about the name of the position and how it differs from the past.

I think Betts is the overwhelming favorite to play there and a guy to watch behind him will be Jayson Gilliom. Also keep an eye on James Wright who is learning the LB position and has the speed to play that hybrid spot.

The other two linebacker positions is where more of the competition is. First off, I have to start by saying I don’t know exactly how KU will call their terminology with a MIKE, SAM or WILL backer because they are using a HAWK. So, my guess is they will have a MIKE and a WILL.

The MIKE I expect to be Taiwan Berryhill being pushed by Nick Channel, Jay Dineen and Cornell Wheeler. This will be more of the inside backer lining up in the middle of the field.

The WILL (if they call it that) I think will come between Gavin Potter, Rich Miller, and Krishawn Brown. Miller will also have ability to rotate between the WILL and MIKE. The WILL has to be a little more athletic and play in space.

Cornerback- Last year before Jacobee Bryant left campus to grayshirt he went through fall camp. The word I got from several people was they felt he was more talented than Karon Prunty. Saying that, I don’t know that he is a lock to start.

I have heard good things about Duece Mayberry and all of the players I talked to seemed to be high on Jeremy Webb. My sleeper based off talking with the players is Mello Dotson.

You might not think much about it, but looking back the corner spot was hit hard. Losing Prunty, Kyle Mayberry, and Elijah Jones were guys who played Big 12 football and at the worse gave you solid depth.

The corners were one of my biggest concerns going into the season and the depth still is. I am going to pencil in Duece as a starter and the competition at the other spot will continue over the next 7-10 days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News