ADVERTISEMENT

My Theory

kunomu

Senior
Gold Member
May 21, 2004
And this is just a theory.

I have read a lot of threads on here tonight about kids being overrated coming out of HS, our teams lacking the killer instinct and asking how 3-star kids are beating a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids. I honestly believe it comes down to that at KU you have to absolutely recruit the best kids, which at this time are 1 and done kids. You have to have the talent to compete at this level. However, you are recruiting a bunch of kids, who while talented have never played against the level of talent that they'll play against at KU or in a major conference. They play in AAU games where they're the best player and when their team gets up 15-20 points the other team just shuts down, that player can stop playing defense, worry about getting theirs and coast to the win. When you play kids that may not be as equally as athletic or naturally gifted but just really good basketball players you can give up big leads and lose games you have no business losing.

The fear that I have is that Self's system is very complicated and difficult to a fault. Now as i say that know that i think HCBS is absolutely one of the best but i think one adjustment he could make is to allow these freshman to play through mistakes more and allow them to grow through it. Allow Greene to get his way out of the doghouse more. My fear is honestly that until the 1 and done rule changes we will continue to see these up and down teams. And the years we will have the most success are the years where some highly ranked kids (Chalmers, Rush, Sherron, Cole, Robinson, Selden, etc.) become 3-4 year guys. The 2 most successful teams that we've had under Self in terms of tournament success were '08 and '12, both teams were full of guys that were highly ranked but became 3-4 year guys.

I honestly hope that this theory is incorrect but I believe this to be the case. Which means I need to start getting xanax from my doctor or drink heavily.

Having said that, good win tonight, proud of our guys for fighting through. Rock Chalk!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News