ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Looking back at what was said KU vs KSU

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Here is a quick look back after yesterday's game and word straight from the coaches and players:

Self wasn't very happy with the offensive performance but was happy to get out with a win:

"I thought the crowd was good. I thought that we weren’t very good. I didn’t think either team played particularly well offensively, obviously, but both teams guarded. We were especially poor on that end but we did rebound the ball, and our first shot defense was pretty good so that gave us a chance. Then we had some individuals make some big plays late. Anytime you come over here, or any road game, is a great win whenever you get one. Certainly not really happy with how we performed but certainly ecstatic leaving out here with W.”

When asked about Azubuike's injury Self did have a little fun with it:

“He came back and played, although he wasn’t effective, but he came back and played. The way he laid on the ground initially, amputation may have been a viable course of action. But he came back and at least he gave us some minutes, even though he wasn’t effective, we probably don’t win the game unless he was able to give us some minutes."

Everybody knows KU gets the best from KSU in Manhattan and Devon Dotson said they could tell from the start it would be a tough game:

“We knew it wasn’t going to be easy from the start. We knew the crowd was going to be into it and it’s a rivalry game. We couldn’t come out casual, we knew what it was going to take to win. Credit to them, they showed a lot of toughness. They played hard.”

Self talked about Dotson's performance:

“You know, Doke (Udoka Azubuike) got a lot of credit last week. Getting 23 and 19 in a huge game, he was great. But he had some help, he had guys throwing him the ball and creating angles for him, and stuff like that. Dot (Devon Dotson) gets 25 on his own for the most part because we didn’t have a lot of guys, offensively, step up and help him. I thought that was huge what he did because we didn’t really have much going on at all except for him.”

KSU senior Xavier Sneed on what happened when Kansas pulled away in the final minutes:

“Execution. Couple of bad shots and a couple of bad threes. I think we had a shot clock violation as well. At key times, we just need to execute the game plan.”

Bruce Weber on his team and Dotson's play:

“Our guys played hard. They prepared. We did a lot of good things to give us a chance, but in that one little stretch we had about four or five bad possessions offensively which led to their transitions and (Devon) Dotson - I told the guy before the game, ‘I’m really proud, you have a chance to become player of the year in the country,’ and he backed it up today in a big game on the road and made a lot of huge plays."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News