ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Load the box and go man up on KSU WR

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
As I watch Kansas State this will have to be one of the best performances from KU's front seven that they've played this year.

The Wildcats offensive line is really good. I like watching them play. They play together and they are very physical. The KU DL has improved a lot in terms of physicality and the way they have played. But this is going to be a challenge for them because Kansas State is going to lean on them.

They are going to have to get into that depth to help out and keep guys fresh. When I watch Kansas State's receivers outside of Brooks I don't know if I see a lot of guys who scare me. They've always had one or two guys in the past who concern you.

I have to think there are going to be a lot of resources put up front to stopping the run game and that means more one-on-one coverage letting your cornerbacks try to free up other defenders to stop the run.

The LB are going to have to be well schooled to stop the quarterback run game. There are a lot of similarities I see how Kansas State uses their own scheme offensively just like KU that allows players to make plays.

I've said several times I don't know how much NFL talent is on KU's roster but their scheme offensively fits what they do and it helps open up players to make plays. Kansas States is a lot like that it's just different looking. They do a good job of playing to their strengths. This game for the defense is going to be simply how they can perform in their front seven and trying to slow down the running game from Kansas State.

There is going to have to be some responsibility from a linebacker and I'm assuming that's Craig Young to slow down number 34 from Kansas State on offense because he's going to be a threat at tight end.

I won't beat around the bush I don't necessarily like the matchup against Kansas State's offense. I think the one way to neutralize it is gambling and loading the box hoping their receivers can be locked down by the corners without as much help from safeties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News