ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Football Bowling Club (KUFBBC) Announcement

gripper99

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2006
Introducing the KU Football Bowling Club (KUFBBC)

My Fellow Slanters –

Every year as the calendar turns to September this group of individuals enters into the unknown. From just about every walk of life, we march ahead together. Arms locked. Bracing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

Enter 2022. One-third of the way into the regular season, my feet haven’t touched the ground. It’s too early to say exactly what we have in Lawrence, but it sure feels special. It’s a team and a coach that isn’t just building a program, it’s manifesting it. I know Phoenix rise from ashes, but Jayhawks might damn well too.

Like many of you, I’ve felt physical pain from this program over the past decade, and endured the TV pundit jabs, the social media jokes and the laughter from friends/co-workers. And what made this not only bearable, but absolutely worth it, has been the opportunity to be part of this diehard Kansas football community and the unrelenting belief and knowledge that we would turn the corner one day and it would all be even more worth it.

This message board is often one of the first things I check before I hit the lights at night and again in the morning as I roll out of bed. I can’t credit @JK enough for what he’s fostered and developed. He’s our Lance and his program has been humming for years.

Whether you’ve been on the Slant for 10 years or 10 days, you know that while Kansas football is our passion – this forum is used as an opportunity to connect on much more. It’s not a message board. It’s a community…and kind of a weird one. It takes a unique bird to be part of this flock.

But for those of you who feel the same, I felt it was only right to formally invite each and every one of you to join – The KU Football Bowling Club (KUFBBC)!

I’ll now take your questions…

What is the KU Football Bowling Club?

After Kansas beat the Longhorns last year, I felt something. I felt it deep in my plums – hope. You may have felt it too.

Tangible, grounded-in-reality hope that KU would not only start winning, but go bowling in the not-too-distant future. And I got to talking with friends (fellow KUFB diehards) about what a special moment it will be to watch KU in a bowl game again. So, we decided to create the KU Football Bowling Club.

The club consists of a group of KUFB fans who wear custom crimson and blue retro-style bowling shirts to KU bowl games. With each bowl KU makes – we add/sow on another bowl game patch. The club will coordinate for whatever bowl games KU makes, we’ll have a tailgate/pre-game celebration and try to sit in the same section – which is certain to become the most fun in the stadium. It’s simply a way to extend the excitement of KUFB into post-season college football.

If Kansas is in a bowl, we will do everything in our power to be there – Little Caesar’s Bowl, Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Cheez-It Bowl…you name it. We will wear our bowling shirts. We will purchase or, if needed, create commemorative patches and put them on our shirts. If a member can’t make the bowl game and wants a patch we will do everything we can to get it to them and in return they will wear their shirt from wherever they may be.

I’m sure the idea/community will grow and change along the way…this will be a “club member-led culture”. As JK would say this is “Year 0” of the program folks.

Why in the world would I want to be associated with this?

Great question. I can’t answer that for you. The answer has to come from within.

Do you have a mission statement?

The mission of the Kansas Football Bowling Club is to provide a fun way for diehard Kansas football fans to celebrate future KU bowl games together as part of a community and to put other fanbases on notice that the Hawks are coming.

What’s your 10-year plan?

To go to 10 straight bowls, and force ESPN’s hand into dedicating a TV segment and/or article to explaining why there are 1,000 strong Kansas fans wearing bowling shirts at the Sugar Bowl, because some dumb club started in the midst of a 14-year bowl drought.

Do I have to respect your decision to do this?

I can’t stress this enough, please respect our decision. My friends and I are 1000% committed to this club. We’ve officially closed our recruitment for other postseason college football clubs. We are blessed and our recruitment is officially closed. #RecruitmentStillOpen.

Seriously though, if the KUFBBC membership ends at 6 people, we’ll be just as happy. The truth of the matter is that when (not if) KUFB gets its next bowl invite – there’s no looking back. It’s going to be one hell of a fun ride and we’re just trying to Load the Wagon. Everyone is welcome.

My god, how much crimson & blue Kool-Aid have you consumed to do this? Can you even see straight?

No, I can’t and I haven’t since last November. And let me tell you, September sure didn’t help.

I can’t explain why, but I’m interested in this and would like to learn more (i.e. I have questions, want to join and get a shirt, etc.)

Awesome. This is literally not for profit or anything weird like that. We’d just coordinate on exact cost for the shirt/patches and exact shipping. If you have interest, I’ll share more info. on timing/design/etc. No commitment. Visit www.kufootballbowlingclub.com or email KUFootballBowlingClub@gmail.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News