ADVERTISEMENT

Just got home from basketball media day in Lawrence

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- According to Bill Self, freshman Johnny Furphy has been out of action for the past 10 days due to shin splints. The hope is that Furphy will be able to return to the court within the next week or so, but nothing is certain at this time.

-- Self, when asked about the starting rotation, said four spots have been locked up. Dajuan Harris, Jr., Kevin McCullar, Jr., KJ Adams, Jr., and Hunter Dickinson are have four of the five spots locked up, but the fifth and final spot is still up for grabs. With Johnny Furphy out of action, Self said that the final spot would go to either Nicolas Timberlake or Elmarko Jackson. As of Wednesday afternoon, Self said that a decision hadn't been made about the final spot.

-- When asked about freshman guard Jamari McDowell, Self said he thinks that he's capable of playing significant minutes this season. Self spoke really highly of McDowell and mentioned Travis Releford as the type of player that McDowell could potentially become for Kansas.

-- This isn't breaking news, but freshman guard Elmarko Jackson is going to log a ton of minutes this season. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if, when all is said and done, he emerges as the fifth and final starter. I'm still of the opinion that Nicolas Timberlake will open the season in the starting rotation, but if Jackson ends up starting at some point this season, don't be surprised.

-- Self said that Zach Clemence is allowed to play in the exhibition game against Illinois on Sunday, and Self expects him to play, but the plan is still to redshirt Clemence this season. Self said he's been a great teammate and, this is just my opinion, but he sounds like a completely different "Zach Clemence" that Kansas fans saw when he first arrived on campus.

-- Self also spent a few minutes talking about Parker Braun during his time with the media. When asked about the role he envisions for Braun, Self, without any hesitation, said the goal for Braun is to become Hunter Dickinson's backup. Self added that Dickinson and Braun could play together on the court, but I didn't get the feeling they'll be on the court at the same time very much at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News