ADVERTISEMENT

Info about Elko

jolebo

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2015
Seeing how he is receiving an in person interview and knowing that we have not extensively bashed his name yet with our opinions, I'll make a thread for him.

• 43 years old
  • Penn graduate in 1998
  • Has been a DC since 2006 at many schools (Hofstra, Bowling Green, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Texas A&M)
  • Has led an overall top 50 defense the last 7 seasons (WF: 2014 - 2016; ND: 2017; A&M: 2018 - 2020)
  • DC under Dave Clawson at WF, Brian Kelly at ND, and Jimbo FIsher at A&M
    • Has worked with Clawson at Fordham (02-03), Richmond (04-05), and Wake Forest (14-16); he is another program builder who does not receive a lot of overall attention
  • Spent time as a MAC DC with Bowling Green, where he had the top MAC defense for 2 seasons
There is a very good chance he described various aspects of lessons he gained from working under those three HCs the last 7 seasons, and longer with Clawson. The culture each of them have cultivated is something that may appeal to Goff. With Goff coming from NW, and knowing the academics about WF and ND, that is a different connection. The standards may be a bit different with A&M but not that much less overall. He presents something different from the other HC candidates who are coordinators; more experience and coaching under more "program building" situations. It is also a bit different from the G5 HCs, seeing how he has been a part of P5 programs the last 7 seasons and 3 P5 conferences

With him being a current DC, I don't know all of his connections for who he would want to bring with him. The main person I would keep my eye on is the current A&M LB coach, Tyler Santucci. He has known Elko for quite some time, but he has been a coach for 3 years, not including GA years. I bring this up because I wonder about Goff's assessments with the current KUFB ACs. Elko crossed paths with Lee Grimes in 2018 at A&M so there is that connection. With Peterson being a former Aggie, he may have a soft spot initially. What I am saying is that I wonder if Elko is more open minded to keep more of the current KUFB ACs compared LL, JM, and WF. These current coaches have led spring practices and have that overall connection with the players and program. The team mainly needs a HC right now to continue whatever positive came from Miles' influence the last two seasons. We talk about how he is more likely to command a larger salary than the G5 HCs, but we just don't know of that number.

Here are some videos about him.

Since we focus on the Big 12, we tend to focus on offensive minded coaches, but there is some history with successful defensive minded HCs. Yes, we all know that the Big 12 is where DCs come to ruin their careers but Elko has seen a good variety of offenses. The SEC is no joke right now, ND sees a lot, and his WF team was able to slow down some ACC offenses, including Clemson. I am not saying that he is the ideal candidate; just presenting some of what I have found and pieced together in the last hour.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News