ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Home from Lawrence: Some thoughts on Self/Goff presser

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
I just got home from Lawrence and I'm getting ready to cover the Rakease Passmore commitment at 7:00, but I wanted to share a few thoughts from today's press conference. I thought Coach Self and Travis Goff did an absolutely amazing job when meeting with the media. Honestly, as a duo, I thought they hit a home run when addressing today's decision by the IARP.

-- From the beginning, Self said this entire situation would play itself out the way he said it would. He stood by his coaching staff the entire time and never changed his tune in terms of how he felt this entire situation would end. There were some people who pointed fingers and looked for a fall guy. but Self stood by his guys and said this day would come. Here's the entire quote from Self.

"Yeah, I'm very happy that it's over. I'm certainly happy with the end results and at the same time don't feel like a celebration mode because this is exactly what we thought the end result would be years ago and it's taken such a long period of time to get here. But I am pleased with the findings because the findings are accurate."

-- During today's press conference, Self made it perfectly clear that he's fine with the 15 vacated wins and loss of the final four banner. He understands why the decision was made and he fully supports the process.

"I actually did feel like it was fair, and I actually felt like it should have been done by the rule," said Self. "We had a player participate. Why ineligible due to an illicit payment that we knew nothing about, but he was still ineligible. Why participating? So the 15 wins that occurred while Silvio participated in the 2018, he didn't play in 17, but the 2018 spring semester, I believe are warranted to be taken away because that is the rule."

-- Moving forward, Self expects KU's recruiting to be impacted favorably by today's decision, but he also added that he doesn't know if it'll be a huge impact because he thinks his staff did a pretty good job in the last few years recruiting players that are difference makers at the University of Kansas.

"I think from a recruiting standpoint, there's no doubt this has impacted recruiting," said Self. "I'm not sure it's impacted recruiting recently as much as it was three or four years ago because the reality of it is I don't think this is as talked about today as what it was three or four years ago.

"My staff knows this. I think our recruiting will be impacted favorably, but I don't know if it'll be a huge impact because I think my staff still done a pretty good job in the last few years recruiting players that are difference makers here at the University of Kansas,"

Reactions: joaqhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News